Kitty Question

imnotgigi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I be alarmed if my brand-new kitten has not eaten, drank, or gone to the litter box in 2 to 3 days?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you should start to be concerned. Kittens can get dehydrated very fast. Can you give some background on her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imnotgigi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got him two days ago from a breeder... He's five months old and is a Norwegian Forest Cat. Erm... that's basically all i can tell, but I'm beginning to feel less alarmed. Last night i heard him rummaging around in the litter box, which i assume is a good sign. I also saw that some of the cat food had been knocked out of the bowl, which leaves a possibility that he has eaten. I still want to take him to a vet, though, just in case. Should I?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's always a good idea for a well Kitten check. It is very hard to tell what a kitten has been through unless you have been into the breeders house. I have seen way to many that cage kittens and never socialize them. This is usually the reason they get very overwhelemed in a new home. For now, you may want to try putting your new baby in a room of his own. Then slowly let him have some freedom. He may feel more secure. Your vet can check his temperature, heart rate and breathing. This way you can feel at ease.