Kitty pulling out clumps of hair!!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all
I have a big fluffy ragamuffin boy... so tracking hair loss is kind of hard, but Ive found out recently that he has been over grooming and pulling out clumps of hair! Mainly across his back. Ive caught him doing it too.
His food has mainly been constant- sheba/ff/dry orijen
He takes meds for HCM lasix, atenolol, plavix.. has been on them since april..
We recently changed up our office design, he used to mainly control that room. All his toys beds and food bowls were there. Ive kept most of that there but the arrangement of furniture and items of furniture are different, and Ice moved one of his 2 litterboxes downstaira- which he uses.
Could this be it?
Because I moved stuff he is stressed?
I really dont wana stress his heart and take him to the vet for this...
I just ordered some feliway plug ins but I have tried them on e before and didnt notice any change in his naturally anxious and scaredy cat personality.
He isnt hiding or hissing or not eating... everything has been Ok heart wise too...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
7DCA1174-0FE6-4895-A496-6D7701ABD778.jpeg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to ask this- but could he have fleas?

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also he is indoor only

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please help!
This was this morning
20FA592F-FBAA-4329-AB5F-80904C781028.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
All his toys beds and food bowls were there. Ive kept most of that there but the arrangement of furniture and items of furniture are different, and Ice moved one of his 2 litterboxes downstaira- which he uses.
Could this be it? Because I moved stuff he is stressed?
He isnt hiding or hissing or not eating... everything has been Ok heart wise too...
The good news is his heart is ok. You know him best and if he gets stressed or anxious easily it's possible it could be the rearrangement of furniture especially moving the litter box. Cats can be finicky and often prefer consistency/routine. The only way you'll know is to move at least one of the two boxes back. Here is a helpful Article about alleviating stress in your cat:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out? – Cat Articles

My other thought is allergy related. Is it possible he has an intolerance to something, e.g. food, environment, etc.? If you have any doubts or concerns give your vet a call and discuss it with them. Best of luck! :alright:

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help! Im finding more clumps of hair.
I ve put in 2 feliway plugs where he spends alot of time but I dont think its helping
Ive heard 80% of the time its a medical condition vs behavioral....

should I try changing foods??
He sees a vet monday but its cardiology not a general dr

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
When you go to the vet, be sure to have them check his liver values via blood draw, and kidney values via urinalysis.
Meds and dry food can be hard on both the liver and kidneys. You may need to feed more wet food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He sees a vet monday but its cardiology not a general dr
It would be beneficial to bring this to your cardiologist's attention regardless if he's not your regular vet. Ask if it could be a side effect of the meds for his heart or something else. Best of luck and please keep us posted after your cardiology visit. :vibes:

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you go to the vet, be sure to have them check his liver values via blood draw, and kidney values via urinalysis.
Meds and dry food can be hard on both the liver and kidneys. You may need to feed more wet food.
Yes will do!
He has 2 servings of wet a day as well as wet treats to make sure hes getting water in
Im just so sad for his beautiful fur
His tail fur has also decreased greatly
Ragamuffins should have a big puffy tail and
Now his is almost 70% gone :(