Kitty "piddles" - small urine spots left where the cat sits!

pinkyandophelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help please!

I've recently started noticing little (dime sized) stains on my bed. Upon closer inspection, I realized that they're actually little urine spots from my kitty. He's not actively peeing on the bed, or spraying, so it seems more like "leakage." Its happened a few times when he was sitting on my lap, too.
I don't think its intentional or a behavioral problem, but has anyone ever experienced this before?

He's a good cat, but he regularly sleeps on my bed and on furniture, so I'm looking for a cause or even a fix.

He's 9 years old and a bit overweight, but hasn't experienced any major weight change in years. He's a full-time indoor cat with short to medium fur.

Any thoughts? Many thanks!

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would defiantly go to the vet and have your kitty examed. just to rule out bladder infections and such. how old is your kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkyandophelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking as well. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this "piddle" situation. At first I thought I was just going batty, or that it was a combo of 2 cats in a smallish apartment, but well, after it happened when he was sitting on my lap, it was irrefutable. I think he just needs to make a visit to the V-E-T.

Many thanks!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Definitely get him to the vet to rule out urinary tract problems, but to maybe ease your worry a little: I've got an 11 year old female black lab at home and she occasionally has the same problem (although the puddles are bigger cuz Cuddles is bigger!
) My vet did the tests and they came back negative, so her explaination was Cuddles is suffering from what a lot of older humans can suffer from (especially women and especially after having children)... ever laugh or cough so hard that you piddled a little
? It's basically the same idea, except the dog/cat doesn't necessarily have to cough or sneeze or anything for it to happen. Cuddles is more prone to it after ingesting a larger than normal amount of water (ie: we were just in NC at the shore with her and we can't teach her to swim with her mouth closed
, so she ingests a good amount of bay water when she swims and we swim her every day down there)... we try to keep her on the deck, outside or on the linolium floors for awhile after the extra water intake so the leakage is easier to clean up...

Hope all is well with your kitty and let us know what the results are!