Kitty pet peeves

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat wakes me up at 5:00 in the morning, licking and biting my face. I've been training her slowly not to, but its slow going. She usually gets a harsher punishment for biting people, and a lighter one for biting my phone. I want to know what your cat does to really tick you off, (even though we still love them) and how you punish them.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally don't punish mine, it honestly doesn't do anything but alienate your cat.
But there are plenty of things they do that irk me...

One thing I find particularly annoying is although they have not only an expensive circulating fountain as well as a bowl full of fresh water.  The same water I drink, mind you.  But still they insist on drinking out of my water glass

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are very good. They never wake me up, even on weekends, they cuddle up and sleep through the night, never meow for food, they don't bite or scratch, they use all their water fountains and bowls, sit and purr while I clip their nails..... No punishments needed here.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat wakes me up at 5:00 in the morning, licking and biting my face. I've been training her slowly not to, but its slow going. She usually gets a harsher punishment for biting people, and a lighter one for biting my phone. I want to know what your cat does to really tick you off, (even though we still love them) and how you punish them.
I don't really punish my cats but try to redirect their behavior but that's just me ;)  Like TobyTyler my cats love my glass.  Doesn't matter what is in it, they want to drink out of it.  I literally have to pick my glass up and take it with me in the house wherever I go because if I don't, one of them will be into it and more than once they've spilled the glass all over my laptop
Makes me an unhappy pet parent.

dawn volk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really dislike the scream of the Siamese cat. I was told that my new kitten was grey and white. When I picked her up I discovered that she is a blue point Siamese cross and is discovering her scream as she gets older. This makes the second Siamese cross that I've owned, previous was a seal point. Guess I have to get used to be yelled at again. Sigh.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cookimonster, welcome to my world. She probably just wants breakfast and that's her way of telling you. Our two Old Crabs, Whisper and Bootser (who are 18-year old sisters), awaken us between 4:00 and 4:30 every single morning and have been doing so now for several years. We no longer need an alarm clock to get up for work; we have two feline clocks who take their jobs very seriously. Whisper licks Rick's face and ears and Bootser jumps on the bed and starts screaming for breakfast. I did get so frustrated that I yelled at them....all that did was scare everybody and that made me feel terrible. So now? We simply awaken every morning between 4:00 and 4:30. I shoo everybody out of the bedroom, except for Mollipop who will settle back down with us. And I shut the door. At 5:00, I get out of bed and give everybody their breakfast. It's become part of my daily routine now. When Rick does it, he'll come back to bed, but usually once I'm awake, I'm up.

You might want to just give in. Get up and feed her. And then go back to bed, if you can. 

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine have a full bowls of food and yet want "fresh" out of the bag.  They will wake me up at all hours of the night.  I get up, stumble to the food dish only to find it full.  I will never understand what is up with that.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have a full bowls of food and yet want "fresh" out of the bag. They will wake me up at all hours of the night. I get up, stumble to the food dish only to find it full. I will never understand what is up with that.
Of course they want fresh food, they probably don't like stale food that is already covered with saliva. :) Schedule feeding with measured amounts will eliminate that problem.

The only thing my cats do that I wish was different is the way they pee in the corners of the litter boxes. I wish they all peed in the middle so it would be easier to scoop.

Cats don't respond to punishment. They won't know why you are doing whatever it is you are doing to them. When you see them doing something you don't want them to do, redirect them to do something else.

The best way to teach your kitty to not wake you at 5 a.m. is to ignore her. Any attention, including any "punishment", is simply rewarding the behavior. However, if one of my cats joins me in bed I simply welcome her into the bed. You might try that, perhaps she will then curl up and go to sleep with you. Queen Eva likes to sleep under the covers, so I lift the cover for her, she goes under and we all go back to sleep. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Agony, Dark kitty Master of the House, will crawl under the bed, and bite me. I got her just before daylight savings, (lucky me) and sadly, Aggie is oblivious. I'm trying to get her better acquainted with eating at six (that's when I wake up during the weekdays) but I'll feed her at five, and she'll eat and then, curl up in my lap and sleep. Why she can't switch them, I don't know (well, I do. It's because she's a cat.)
However, on the weekends, she'll eat and sleep like an angel next to me, periodically hopping out of the bed to eat. If she gets to riled up (from sleeping?) Aggie springs off the bed, and plays with her ball toys. By them it's ok, because its like 9:00 and I need to get up. I think it's her way of saying, I OWN YOU.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and live in a little one bedroom apartment. It's not ideal, but I know I need to have two litterboxes at minimum. So one is in the bedroom. Daymon seems to have to pee/poop EVERY morning around 4:00. Then he scratches the litter for what seems like an hour.

Obviously I don't punish him. I never "punish" my cats. They rule the roost. And they pretty much know it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never punish my cats.  If they do something I don't like, I might say in a normal tone of voice, "Why did you do that?"  Punishing a cat for doing catly things is like punishing a wall for being a wall.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am fortunate that my 3, who are on a feeding schedule so no food is left out overnight, play very quietly in the morning while they wait for me to wake up.  This usually gives me enough time to get fully awake before facing the day.  I actually enjoy hearing them play while they wait for breakfast.  They have plenty of toys to keep them occupied, and I guess they know that I am getting up in my own sweet time, not theirs.

I agree that punishing does absolutely nothing. I don't even use a spray bottle.  Frankly I have never really needed to punish any of my cats.  That doesn't mean my cats get away with murder either.  Cats easily learn what you mean with simple commands.  All my cats, even the youngsters, understand the meaning of a firm NO! 

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never punish my cats.  If they do something I don't like, I might say in a normal tone of voice, "Why did you do that?"  Punishing a cat for doing catly things is like punishing a wall for being a wall.
Sometimes Holland will be sitting in my lap snuggling and getting petted, and after 4 years together I know her pretty well. If her tail starts to get going I know she's getting overstimulated, even though she is in my lap looking like she's asleep, so I'll stop touching her. Normally, she'll leap out of my lap after a couple minutes. No big deal. Every once in a while, even after I've stopped petting her, she will attack my arm. Much like you, I just look at her and say "Really?".

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Bad Goils are the worst - they spend time devising how to keep me in this room, one lies in the doorway and the other further into the kitchen just in case I get past the first line of defence. They also go to great lengths to keep the couch for themselves......AND they are bed hogs!!!LOL Of course, ALL human food must be inspected before I eat, and they want their share; feeding the cats first doesn't work, but I am hard to train!

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Da Bad Goils are the worst - they spend time devising how to keep me in this room, one lies in the doorway and the other further into the kitchen just in case I get past the first line of defence. They also go to great lengths to keep the couch for themselves......AND they are bed hogs!!!LOL Of course, ALL human food must be inspected before I eat, and they want their share; feeding the cats first doesn't work, but I am hard to train!
  I could swear mine plot, scheme and devise ways to annoy me... while I sleep

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is cracking me up. I've had Holland for 4 years, and she is my baby, and she is spoiled, and boy, SHE KNOWS IT! She is a one-woman cat. She will give me all the affection in the world, but if anyone comes over, she's all "STRANGER DANGER!" and goes to hide under the bed.

Daymon is my laid-back handsome little boy. He greets everyone who comes to my place, sniffs them, then rolls over for bellyrubs.

It's been almost 11 months since I adopted him, and he and Holland are FINALLY deciding to be BFFs. No cat piles yet, but they sit together, chase each other, and Holland will head-bump Daymon all the time. SO cute.

At night, until recently, Holland sleeps up by my head and Daymon sleeps on the fleece blanket at the foot of the bed. Recently they decided that it's fun to fight over who will sleep on mommy's stomach at night. Every night lately has been me trying to sleep while two cats swat each other, with the loser playing "blanket monster" and attacking my feet.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhh, don't we just love our conniving brats

What I don't get is this:  I have wood floors throughout my house.  There are only a couple of rugs.  Why then, do they always have to  puke on the rug, just an inch away from the wood floor

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holland has never been a puker. A couple times when she was young, but that was it. Then comes Daymon. He's not bad, has only puked a handful of times since I adopted him, but it's usually at night while I'm sleeping or while I'm at work. One morning I stepped in it.
There has only been one time that I've been awake and present when he started puking, and he was in the kitchen, which has a vinyl flooring. He starts retching, and then heads into the carpeted living room. Me: "Daymon... No! Stay where you... No, Daymon! Stay in the kitchen, don't come into... Daymon, stop!"

Then he puked on my carpet.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep our bedroom door closed at night --- but at around 5 - 6 am Tony starts banging on the door -- and he bangs really hard! If we let him do it long enough he'll eventually stop. Tippytoes just starts yelling --- and since she has some Siamese in her you can imagine her yell.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My only pet peeve is with my Lilly Bay;

David and Jake use the litterbox, and CALMLY, NEATLY, cover their business with litter.   But not with Lilly, she will have none of that - after she "goes", she literally throws the litter out of the box  (halfway across the room I find it) to bury it.   I don't get it.