Kitty Passing Gas

VQuest91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

So my three month old kitten passes gas whenever we pick her up and it smells so bad! Her poopoo is not soft or liquidy but she does go to the bathroom a lot. I feed her 50g of kitten dry food (chicken) every day and she drinks a lot of water. While I know kittens usually fart more than adult cats, I’m worried about her. Has anyone had a similar experience??

Please let me know ❤

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she had a vet visit recently, things like Giardia, and parasites can cause gas.

It might also be the food, what are you feeding her? Mine have problems with peas and potatoes.

Best luck, let us know how it goes.

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going raw would help a lot. Dry food fed cats tend to do poops that smell like and resemble small dog poop, whereas raw food fed cats do poops that resemble and smell like large rabbit poops, they have very little odour. After all, it's what they're evolutionary designed to eat and they need time to adjust to commercial pet food, which is largely plant based. It may get better over time but it may not and some cats can develop IBS like symptoms. So the best solution is either going raw or a high meat content wet food free of carbohydrates and sugars.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is good that her poop looks OK but smelly gas is not normal so it does indicate something is not right for your kitten. It could be that she is finding the food a bit rich or something in it hard to digest so worth gradually transitioning her on to some other kitten food if you can. Also, like duckpond suggests, it could be a sign of parasites so checking with your vet is always a good idea. if she has any other signs like more rounded belly, seeming very hungry eating a lot and maybe not growing as fast as you might expect for her food intake be sure to mention this to the vet too, or if she tires quickly.

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty, maybe the food isn't sitting right with her. I had a cat with a sensitive stomach and she did really well once we switched her to quality protein, grain free wet food. It's been a while, but I think we bought wellness, weruva, tikicat, bff, and applaws brand

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats and dogs DO cut the cheese, occasionally, and when they do it DOES stink pretty bad!

Yeah! Casper has cleared the room a couple of times! ;)

As long as it's only OCCASIONAL, there's nothing to worry about when your cat floats an air biscuit. But letting loose a squeaker every time he gets picked up is excessive.

The first thing I'd do is to check up on what he's been eating.
(Smelly cat! Smelly cat! What are they feeding you! ;) )

Make sure he hasn't been getting into something he shouldn't be. (Houseplants, garden plants, etc.) Check to be sure that nobody else in the house is feeding the kitten something they shouldn't be. Many, if not most, human foods can cause a cat to get gas. Do you have kids in the house who might be feeding the kitten something he shouldn't be eating?

Cats shouldn't have very much milk in their diet after they've been weaned and, after they are more than a few months old, they probably shouldn't have any milk at all. Feeding a cat too much milk can certainly cause gas. (and it can cause a cat to get the squirts!)

Changing your cat's food could also help. You don't necessarily need to switch to "organic" or "raw" food but it would be wise to stay away from the cheap stuff.

Every cat can have a different tolerance for different kinds of food. I'd say that a little experimentation with your kitten's diet is in order.

If you've checked his diet and tried to make some positive changes but the kitten still farts too much, definitely get him to a vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VQuest91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
71B9D08A-AB42-499A-91DC-6B6F495D0609.jpeg
Thank you so much for all your advice. I bought SimSim better quality food and she’s loving it! ❤ She seems to be feeling a lot better already and her room doesn’t smell as much. Hopefully she’ll remain on the rise!

Here’s SimSim saying hi and thank you to everyone

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a cutie! My since passed Etta did that as a kitten. Probiotics helped her. That's often added to canned food but you can purchase kitty probiotics to add to her food. That will help get her gut bacteria balanced to do their thing and not stink up the room. Sounds like her food switch is already working! No more Pepe La Pew

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My last MC would slice one every now and then and blow you out of the room. He always blamed on the other cat!:crackup: