Kitty p@@ping!

Gavabran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 kitties born June 27th..plus their mama and an elderly male. I have a cat door that my kitties have always used to go outside and do their business. I brought in 3 cat boxes until kittens leaned to use cat door. They use the door now but still come in to go in cat box and one goes in the floor! How do I put a stop to this?!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Since the kittens were trained to "do their business" in a litter box, not sure if there's a way to teach them to go outside. And not exactly clear if that's the behaviour you're trying to stop, or just the one kitten who is having litter box avoidance issues.

Does that one kitten ever poop in the litter box? Is the poop normal formed? Or possibly more hard (constipation) or soft (diarrhea)

You could try putting out another litter box. With 4 cats, the "rule" would actually be one box per cat, plus one, which would be 6. That doesn't take in account that the mama and older cat might use the litter boxes too. But not all multi-cat families need that many litter boxes.

TCS has this article on How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box | TheCatSite that mentions some tips for kittens slow to learn to use the litter box.

On a different topic, is mama spayed now? Also, remember kittens can become pregnant as young as 5 months, so if you haven't already, maybe talk to your vet about getting appointments for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gavabran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Since the kittens were trained to "do their business" in a litter box, not sure if there's a way to teach them to go outside. And not exactly clear if that's the behaviour you're trying to stop, or just the one kitten who is having litter box avoidance issues.

Does that one kitten ever poop in the litter box? Is the poop normal formed? Or possibly more hard (constipation) or soft (diarrhea)

You could try putting out another litter box. With 4 cats, the "rule" would actually be one box per cat, plus one, which would be 6. That doesn't take in account that the mama and older cat might use the litter boxes too. But not all multi-cat families need that many litter boxes.

TCS has this article on How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box | TheCatSite that mentions some tips for kittens slow to learn to use the litter box.

On a different topic, is mama spayed now? Also, remember kittens can become pregnant as young as 5 months, so if you haven't already, maybe talk to your vet about getting appointments for them.
Thank u for responding. I moved into a neighborhood full of feral kitties. I rescued the mama who I found skinny with cuts all over her. I assumed being beat up by other kitties. She thanked me with babies☺ Spaying her and fixing kittens is my plan but figuring out finances comes first.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And thank you for rescuing mama, and caring for her and her kittens. 🤗

I don't mean to stress you out, but mama is almost certainly going to get pregnant again soon, if she isn't already, that is if she goes outside. Cats don't have "seasons" and go into heat constantly until they get pregnant. They can even get pregnant shortly after giving birth, and while still nursing, and without having a visible heat cycle.

Take a look at this TCS article, No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles, as there might be something in your area that might be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gavabran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! I had read that it's spring early summer when they go into heat. I need to get on that sooner. Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think spring / summer are the main "kitten seasons", but per the below, depending on where the cat lives, they could get pregnant at anytime during the year.

Cats are seasonally polyestrous, which means that they have multiple cycles during the breeding season. The breeding season will vary according to geographic and environmental factors such as temperature and the number of daylight hours. In the Northern Hemisphere, cats usually cycle from January until the late fall. Cats that live in more tropical regions or mainly indoors however, may cycle all year round.