Kitty Never Comes Out

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nala was born feral and started coming around my house when she was 2 months. After about 3 months of dailing bonding with her I got her spayed and took her indoors. She will now be 4 years old in October and has never left my room. At first I figured she was just afraid and needed to get used to the new environment but now I feel like I failed her and never should've brought her indoors in the first place. At the time I felt it was the right thing to do and would be safe for her because the nights she wouldn't show up I would get worried sick and imagine the worst. I am more educated now though as we have a couple other feral cats that my mother and I have bonded with but they prefer to be outdoors and I wonder if Nala did/does as well. Our oldest male cat bullies her and I feel like he is the reason she is afraid to leave my room. Sometimes she'll get a little sense of adventure and go into the hallway but she never lets her guard down and she retreats with the slightest sound. I have tried bringing her into the living room but she gets extreme anxiety and basically shuts down physically and emotionally just looking for a way to escape. It makes me so sad because we have several cats and have fostered over the years and she is such a loving lady! She loves every and any animal that she has encountered (besides our oldest male of course). She is sometimes OK with my mom but is pretty much petrified of anyone besides me, and even I still make her nervous if I make any sudden movements. I have done research and tried everything but it's now been about 3 years and I don't think patients is the key anymore. Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this? Is it my other cats fault she is so afraid or could I help her in some way? Any help/suggestions is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally have no expierence with ferals but I was immediately reminded of this episode of My Cat From Hell. Same situation with a feral who does not come out of the room. He helps the cat in a lot of ways. It's worth watching if you can find the full episode.
I'll definitely look for the full episode and check it out, thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your cat is living happily in your room I would not stress about it. It could take 3 more years to change her behavior.

Since you brought her in as a kitten she needs to remain an indoor cat.

It does sound like your male cat is the reason she won't come out though.

She's beautiful! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat is living happily in your room I would not stress about it. It could take 3 more years to change her behavior.

Since you brought her in as a kitten she needs to remain an indoor cat.

It does sound like your male cat is the reason she won't come out though.

She's beautiful! :)
Yes I would definitely not stick her back outside, what's done is done. Hopefully things will eventually change for her in the future and she'll be a little less anxious, not much I can do as long as my male is around. Thank you! :)