Kitty missed medication this morning! what do i do?

popobobosan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty spit up his Clavamox pill this morning (9:30) and i just found it (7:00) on the bed and gave him the medication. The instructions are to give him the pills twice daily, so do i give him the medicine again tonight or start at 9:30 tomorrow?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Double check with er vet but I believe go on with normal schedule dont double up..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

popobobosan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help! also, i bought some KMR milk replacer so that my cat can get some extra nutrients. The directions on the can is unclear. My cat is 9 pounds and 8 months old. What is the best way to go about feeding him the supplement?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
umm make it luquid and give it in a bowl...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

popobobosan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, do some cats have an adverse reaction to it or something? My cat just threw up the supplement immediately after and all the food he's eaten throughout the day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by popobobosan

well, do some cats have an adverse reaction to it or something? My cat just threw up the supplement immediately after and all the food he's eaten throughout the day.
Call the nearest er vet... like now ..

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you were correctly advised to skip the missed dose and continue on your regular schedule. One of the main side effects of Clavamox is stomach upset which could account for the vomiting. It's best given with a meal to reduce this possibility. Sure hope your kitty is feeling better very soon!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your Vet about the stomach upset - he may recommend Pepcid AC. BUT only the Vet can tell you the dosage.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not worry about one episode of regurgitation. The milk replacer may have upset his stomach. Give him something bland today (plain, onion-free meat baby food mixed with baby rice cereal is great) and try his normal diet tomorrow.

As for the meds, the rule is to NEVER double up a dose. Give the dose as soon as you remember it and resume a normal schedule. Realistically you can give two doses as little as 8 hours apart (and then go back to your normal 12 hour schedule), but I would definitely not give them any closer together than that. Unless the vet (or any doctor, actually) specifically tells you otherwise, it is much better to miss a dose than to risk an overdose.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible the pills upset your cat's stomach. Unless he is throwing up large amounts or having dry heaves or is extremely dehydrated, a vet visit is usually not warranted. KMR can be rich for some cat's system. Better to just give her a teaspoon of plain yogurt with active cultures.

As for giving pills, try giving it in either whipped cream, cream cheese or spray cheese. Clavamox comes in liquid form as well, easier to give.