Kitty Loves To Kick Litter!

TN4224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I got my cat, she had a urinary tract infection, so she can be a bit sensitive when it comes to litter box issues. I recently switched to the cat attract litter, which she loves. The problem is that the litter is sandy and she kicks it all over the place. I’m living in a house with three bedrooms in the basement. There is a dog as well, so I’m trying to keep her litter in an area he will not frequent. I had her litter box in the bathroom, but with her kicking habit, I’ve had the unpleasant experience of stepping out of the shower onto bits of kitty litter. The bathroom is small enough that only an open box will fit, so I can’t put a covered one there. I do have a covered box I could put in the bedroom, but the space is all carpeted and I’m worried that won’t be much better in terms of ease of cleaning up. And since she can be picky, I don’t want to move her box(es) too much. Anyone had similar experiences? Where could I put her box for minimal mess or any other tips for minimizing litter tracking?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy sells a litter tub with a top entrance but be sure your cat can fit in the entrance (there were complaints about that.) I took a storage tub and it works well for my mom’s litter kicker when combined with a litter catching mat. You can even cut a top entrance in a storage tub’s lid, if need be. Remember ideally he should have 2 litter boxes. So maybe move the boxes to your bedroom?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are several high-sided boxes available. They are generally used for cats who just don't squat when peeing, and cover the surrounding area, but would work just as well for a litter-kicker (I have one of those...in fact, every time I sweep the area, she immediately goes in the box and kicks more out). You would do best to find one with a side entrance, as the cat automatically turns long-wise, and digs toward the high areas.

This is the NVR Miss box, but there are others out there. Or you could easily make your own that fits your restricted area by cutting down the side of a Rubbermaid storage bin!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have enough space pick up a washing machine tray - they are about 30 x 30 inches, only an inch or two high, and cost less than $20. Set the litterbox in it and it will keep what is flung out contained.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my litter box with it’s shields! However the litter kicker that lives at my mom’s house had kicked right out the entrance :rolleyes3: that is why I like the storage tub.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of litter kickers. I use Rubbermaid storage bins with no tops, and the cats hop in and out. If jumping / climbing over the side of a storage bin is difficult for your cat, you can either cut down the side, or put kitty stairs next to the storage bin.