Kitty Litter Sticking To Cat's Fur

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using the Special Kitty (fragrance free) clumping litter that comes in the big plastic jug. When the litter gets wet and turns into a clump, it develops a clay slime on the outside of the clump. I believe it's the clay slime that's sticking to her fur. The clay slime then dries to a hard splotch on her fir around her back legs and her bottom. She tries to lick it off which doesn't work, so she then resorts to trying to pull the dried clay off with her teeth, which doesn't work either.

Other than the sticking issue, it's been a great clumping litter because it's real fine which makes it easier for her to dig into and the clumping feature means I can remove the waste in sections while leaving the rest of the litter clean.

Is the clay litter sticking to her fur a health hazard? Please advise.
Recommend a different litter? Please advise.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With clumping litter, you have to keep the litter really deep, at least 3 inches, or it won't clump right. It will stay wet and stick to the cat. This used to happen to me all the time. Try adding more litter and see if this helps.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 longer haired cats and sometimes they also have this problem.

I keep a watchful eye. If I see any litter stuck to them, I quickly brush it out or cut it off.

I have read that if a cat consumes too much clumping litter it can cause serious issues.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I used Special Kitty litter for years and never had this issue. Does this happen all the time or did you maybe just get a bad batch? I would definitely try making it deeper, as maggiedemi suggested. I use extra large plastic bins and keep the litter 4"-5" deep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will now make the litter 3 inches deep like maggiedemi suggested. Thank you ALL very much!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to make sure the litter stays at 3 inches too. Once a day I add an 8oz cup of fresh litter back in to replace what I scooped out.