Kitty Kat Dental Care

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Greta is about 14 or 15. She is a long hair tortie. I have been using a product that sprays on her food to help keep her teeth clean and it's done well. Now she's decided she won't eat food with this on it. I have stayed away from water additives 1) because she is on the edge of possible kidney issues and eats prescription kidney and so don't know if it would affect that and 2) because we have water fountains for her to drink from and don't know if water additives can be used in them. There's just no way to open her mouth and brush her teeth or use sprays. She eats dry and wet food, I try to do more dry to keep teeth better. Any ideas on products or ways to help tartar? It's not bad but would like to keep ahead of the game.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my cats Greenies treats for tartar, but I have also been brushing their teeth 3x a week with pet toothpaste. I never used dental sprays, but I don't think they should be used in place of brushing. I look at that as an additional step, like how we use mouth wash after brushing.

If your cat won't open her mouth it may be more than stubbornness. She needs to see a vet dentist to see what is going on in there. I had cats in the past with Stomatitis and Tooth Reabsorption who never let me touch their mouths. I had to have all their teeth removed because those conditions would have just keep on progressing until the teeth fall out by themselves. It may be slowed down a little with treatment, but in the end an extraction of all the teeth is necessary. My sister has a cat whose bloodwork keeps coming up with a low white blood cell count. The cause of this is still a mystery. Well, her vet declined having dental done on this kitty and my sister didn't press the issue any further. Hoping that the dental treats and dental solution that Is put in the cat's water would keep dental disease at bay---sadly, it didn't prevent anything. So my sister had to demand she have her cat's bad teeth be pulled out and the vet did it after a waiver was signed given her legal protection should anything go wrong. The cat is no longer drooling and is much happier.

Having had some really bad dental situations with my kitties, I strongly urge you to take your cat to the vet and see where your cat's dental health stands. If you wait, things may get worse.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food does not clean teeth. It's a myth that even some vets believe. Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat’s Teeth? – TheCatSite Articles

I'm not sure if dental treats or something like raw gizzards would affect the possible kidney issues. That is something you should ask the vet. Your vet or a veterinary dentist can do a dental procedure to address any issues and clean the teeth.

Give a yummy flavored pet toothpaste a try at least. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular with cats. Offer a little bit as a treat at first and slowly work your way up to apply a little bit to the kips and and then to one of the front canines and then the rest of the teeth.