Kitty is tired of his food

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is tired of her dry food that I leave out at night for her, and I was looking for some new suggestions. She usually eats wet during the day but at night I leave some dry out for her and well, I have noticed the past week that she went from excited to see the food to...meh.

I usually mix Instinct and Tiki Cat Kitten but something different for her would be a nice change, I was looking at Hound & Gatos, Young Again, Nulo etc. I plan on making the change slowly so I don't upset her system, but I was hoping to keep it similar to his current dry ingredients.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any of the brands you listed as options should be fine, but the main thing is to try them and see if she likes them. Finding foods that they like is their individual preference. Some cats tend to like any and everything and others can be extremely picky.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you stopped leaving dry food out at night, would your cat get upset or would she not care? Would feeding a small canned food meal before bedtime make any difference to your cat? Just curious :)

How old is your cat? Some cats start to eat less food as they get to around a year old or so. if that's the case with your cat, you could just feed a small canned food meal before bed and that should hold your cat over until breakfast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you stopped leaving dry food out at night, would your cat get upset or would she not care? Would feeding a small canned food meal before bedtime make any difference to your cat? Just curious :)

How old is your cat? Some cats start to eat less food as they get to around a year old or so. if that's the case with your cat, you could just feed a small canned food meal before bed and that should hold your cat over until breakfast.
She would probably care because she's so used to this routine and wonder what in the world has changed. She's about 6 months old (was spayed a week ago) and one week she loves chicken, one week she hates it LOL but one thing is for sure, she's not a salmon gal.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any of the brands you listed as options should be fine, but the main thing is to try them and see if she likes them. Finding foods that they like is their individual preference. Some cats tend to like any and everything and others can be extremely picky.
Thanks! I just didn't want to upset her little system with anything much different than what she currently eats you know? She tends to favor Instinct over Tiki Cat.

With wet she loves Merrick, Fancy Feast (some) natural balance and that seems to be about it right now. She goes back and forth with Blue and Wellness and disliked Fussie Cat :frustrated:tbh I wish that she would at least like one brand for a couple weeks before changing her mind.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve found that instead of leaving out dry on a plate I get a better response by putting a small amt of wet in a timed feeder overnight. He springs to life when the feeder starts whirring and I get to sleep in (a bit more). 😄

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks yall. I ended up finding an unopened sample of First Mate chicken with blueberries that I had purchased for my Littlebit that passed away in January so I decided to let her have a few as treats and she really likes it so I went ahead and purchased a bag. I like that its made in Canada and has limited ingredients, I also put a wet timed feeder in my amazon cart (had no idea those existed)

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She likes the First Mate "ok" she's not crazy about it but she loves the Farmina wild boar and apple much more than she ever liked Tiki Cat kitten or Instinct kitten. I was thinking about adding maybe Fussie cat to the rotation but I don't want to offer her too much dry. She really likes fancy feast classics and the fancy feast privera right now for wet but im trying to get her to branch out.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave mine the tiki cat sardine chunks in lobster something or other yesterday. I have NEVER seen them inhale food so fast. It stunk soooo bad 🤮 it’s not something I’d feed on a regular basis but I’d give it to them here and there.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question y’all. My kitten has been eating instinct kitten and tiki cat kitten. Should I keep her on a kitten food? I didn’t even realize after buying the Farmina and First Mate that they are t technically kitten food. Should I return them unopened for a food specifically for kittens?
I keep reading about Dr Elsey but I’m afraid it would be too rich for her stomach.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At six months it's ok to feed her a food that states it's All Life Stages.

I think if this were me, I'd stay with the four foods you're giving her and over the next few months gradually switch to an adult food or just stay with the Farmina and Frist Mate (if they're All Life Stages foods).

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think if this were me, I'd stay with the four foods you're giving her and over the next few months gradually switch to an adult food or just stay with the Farmina and Frist Mate (if they're All Life Stages foods).
Do you happen to know if tiki cat is ok for all life stages?

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just checked and Farmina is for adult cats (boo) but first mate is all life stages thankfully.