Kitty In Heat!

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, my 11 months old Kitty is in heat, I think. She's been super vocal, like yowling and constantly meowing. She'd wake up at night and start making these weird noises. I know it's my fault that I hadn't gotten her fixed before..I was running short on money, but yeah anyways. I was thinking about taking her to the vet tomorrow to get her fixed, but they told me to wait till the cycle is over..(?) I get that it's more expensive to fix her now, but I'm willing to, as I can't have her urinating in the couch and the bed.. I've been doing research and the internet says, spaying in heat will be problematic in future. What do you guys think I should do?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait, the heat only lasts a week. It's more complicated to spay them when they are in heat, more blood is involved. My cat never urinated on anything when she was in heat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats go in and out of heat until they are bred, so get her spayed like stated above, two weeks after she first showed signs.Cats WILL urinate on things to spread their scent around to attract males, not all,but many of them do. It is VERY annoying to have all this meowing going on, not to mention them turning into escape artists. She (and you) would be much happier is she was spayed. Remember too, it is always cute to see a litter of kittens, but my female had 17 in one year, try to find good homes for that many! Not to mention the cost of feeding all of them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all for the replies! I'll schedule an appointment in 7-10 days. It'll be a hellish week! She started calling a day ago btw she wasn't that vocal, till 4:00 in the morning today. At first I thought she was in pain :/ anyways, she doesn't have much of an appetite. She'd meow and rub her nose and face on my feet and cheeks when I ignore her for a while. I can't be home all the time so it's kinda bothering me, like what IF she sneaks out.

Alternatively, if I decided to have her done tomorrow, will there be any serious complications? I just want her to be okay.

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In
Cats go in and out of heat until they are bred, so get her spayed like stated above, two weeks after she first showed signs.Cats WILL urinate on things to spread their scent around to attract males, not all,but many of them do. It is VERY annoying to have all this meowing going on, not to mention them turning into escape artists. She (and you) would be much happier is she was spayed. Remember too, it is always cute to see a litter of kittens, but my female had 17 in one year, try to find good homes for that many! Not to mention the cost of feeding all of them!
Aw I'd want a few furrballs but unfortunately I can't afford them. The vet bills would make my students loan look pale in comparison

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An in-heat spay is bloodier (because blood flow to the area is increased when she's in heat) so it's harder for the vet, and riskier for the cat. There shouldn't be any long-term problems from it though.

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An in-heat spay is bloodier (because blood flow to the area is increased when she's in heat) so it's harder for the vet, and riskier for the cat. There shouldn't be any long-term problems from it though.
Ohh that makes sense. Is there any post blood discharge after that? If it's possible and won't hurt her, I want to do it ASAP cause' she's going mad with her constant screaming and crying to go out. Letting her be like this for a week or two..idk