Kitty has weepy eye after eating

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my. 18 month cat gets a runny eye after eating, thus began about 3 weeks ago. he is getting vet care , eye drops with antibiotics, though he has no nose discharge and no fever . I am a lil frustrated. Two weeks ago the vet pulled a hair from his eye and gave me an eye creme-- not inexpensive. Ten days later still reddish drops from that eye, so back we go. Vet said he was fine...I couldn't get her to understand it only happens after he eats, and I didn't feed him that morning due to the long car ride to the vet.

So now he gets drops3x a day both eyes. Mostly I worry it could be an ongoing issue. The runny eye seems to annoy him, but vet said it wasn't a blocked tear duct. He is healthy in every other way.

Has anybody else experiences this? He is, as far as I know, a Ragdoll/Siamese (possibly Snowshoe) mix, if that makes any difference, and he was born to a cat colony. Thanks!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm wondering if he has an allergy to his food.

What's his diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there Mani ,
He gets ONE hairball formula as his "main" food, and Friskies indoor delights as a 2ndary dry (which is spoiling him but considering how long it took to switch him over from the canned stuff only it's a deal ). Maybe once a day he gets a can of Sheba , but he doesn't really eat it.

I tried gluten free, grain free. He wouldn't touch it. The ONE sits in the middle. Chicken as main ingredient, corn gluten #2. The Friskies he generally only nibbles, thankfully. Last week it's all he would eat and yes, it could possibly be a problem...he got a hotspot on his neck and vomited orange vomit, though that's not normal for him . But he was eating. The Sheba has no gluten, he doesn't eat enough of it to be an issue, it's just my way of encouraging water.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you that as if today, no watery eye !! I'm hoping it's the drops, but am kinda waiting for the weenies to return . It was just his right eye, the same one that was the weepiest when he had a uri last January.... The drops must sting, he totally flips, and last year he was so good about tolerating them. He also is listless, but I'm quite sure it's the medicine as neither eye is weepy and not even any eye boogers!

As fir allergy I also recently switched litter, and can't wait to switch back. The new stuff kills smell like a dream, but has a strong smell. It gave me an athsma attack the first time I used it, so I can't imagine how poor Robin feels. But it's a huge deal to get litter to my upstairs apartment as I've no vehicle and my backs gone out recently. For the moment I'm removing the lid to the box. Come payday, I will be able to afford a cab, and then I'm switching back!!!
Sorry to be so chatty. I love my cat-- I mean love that guy-- but, I don't get to talk to people much. ;)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Two things, the corn gluten and the cat litter, could be doing it, although this isn't my area. (The litter sounds like a very likely culprit though).

Also, is there a reason you changed him to dry only?  That, in itself could be the issue.

It's lovely that you care so much for your boy.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat DeeJay has Feline Herpes virus, she always gets a runny eye, sometimes it's worse after eating.  Maybe a thought. 

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and thank you!

Mani , I had to switch to dry because he would go hot n cold on the canned. Background: when Robin first showed up on my porch, I simply was not prepared to let a kitten in my life, so he got what I had: chicken breast. Got expensive, plus, no vitamins. But canned made him glurp and most dry , he refused. Except the ONE. He was soooo skinny, for so long. Today he weighs 13 pounds. So that's why the dry . Soo hard to refuse him good as he came from a house that kinda hoarded animals . Love, but little sense. Most of the kittens were smashed by vehicles within months, I saw them waiting for the bus. No way Robin was going to meet that fate, once he stepped on my foot and demanded food...I was SUNK. ;)

*i saw them as I waited for the bus* lol

Last edited:

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Intersting , cheetah. ...
My vet claimed she found a hair in his eye...

I've looked up pics of herpes, but they didn't look like his eye...still. Thank you.

What do you do for your cat ? :(

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Intersting , cheetah. ...
My vet claimed she found a hair in his eye...

I've looked up pics of herpes, but they didn't look like his eye...still. Thank you.

What do you do for your cat ?
My kitty DeeJay's eye only looks like the pictures when she's having a flare up.  Her eye constantly runs, and is a 'brownish' color.  I have her on Lysine (250mg twice daily when normal, 500mg twice daily when abnormal).  She hasn't had a flare up for quite some time, I try to eliminate stress and she is no longer vaccinated.  She is also on a mostly grain free diet.

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where do you buy the Lysine and how do you give it? I have l- lysine in my medicine cabinet, but no way to break it down.
Robin only had seriously runny eyes once before, and antibiotics cleared it up, but if I could find something to prevent it, that would be great. Cold temps or sitting in the window on a windy (cool) day does leave it shiny, but not to the point of runny. Herpes is quite possible though, given his beginnings. Thank you fur your help! It was goopy again just now, though not badly.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a product called Viralys, I got it from my Vet (you can probably find it cheaper online), I mix it with their food. 

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, I am definitely going to try that ! :)