Kitty Has Soft Bump On Back On/next To Spine....help

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted in the past about Pumpkin's tummy issues. He's doing much better in that regard and when he goes to the vet next week for his checkup, I will ask if I can cut back or even stop the Lactulose.

I'm concerned about a bump on his back. Not sure how long it's been there, but it's a few inches below his shoulder blades and is moveable. It's not very big and like I said, I'm not sure how long it's been there. At times it's hard to find.

Should I be concerned about this? Pumpkin's health issues have been limited to his tummy. He's acting good....playing.....likes to snuggle, etc. The vet believes he's about 8 or 9 years old. I rescued him from the streets of Pulaski, NY just over 5 years ago.

I heard of injection-related sarcoma. He had his Rabies booster last year. I let him have that other shot a few years ago...just once. I can't remember what it's called, but only once as he seemed rather tired afterwards. I understand that side effect is common, but it's also the vaccine that can lead to these sarcomas. I wish I could remember the name of it. Distemper??

He's had at least two shots of water when dehydration/constipation was an issue.

I would appreciate any comforting words...I love my baby and just can't take anymore problems....there is much going on in my life (not Pumpkin-related) that is very difficult for me to handle. Thanks.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for all the problems you are having right now. Sending you happy and peaceful thoughts and wishes!

Its impossible to know what the bump is, without a vet visit. Hopefully it is nothing, but i think i would want to have it checked, just to be sure.

frenchcatman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my two cats had that same thing happen. He was around 4 months old when we adopted him and his brother. His brother had nothing like it on him. They're just over 6 months old now and my wife and I noticed that the bump is gone. Other than some litter box issues, and minor digestive problems (according to the vet), he's doing fine. Still fights with his brother (they are right now), is eating well and still loves being loved on.

frenchcatman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would still want to get it checked. By the time we got him checked, it was gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how long he's had this or if it's related to one of the shots. His appointment is a week from Thursday. Should I try to get him in sooner?

frenchcatman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he's 8 or 9 years old, I would highly suggest getting it checked (as a non-vet), just for safety. If you start seeing him get more and more sluggish or if the bump causes him pain or anything, I'd try to get in sooner or to a pet ER (don't know if those are a thing where you are). I know if I saw one of my boys acting weird after finding a lump on him, I'd probably take him asap. I don't mean to convey any alarming tones, so don't read it that way, please. I just know how I'd feel, and I'm sure Pumpkin would appreciate the concern (even if nothing's wrong and even if he gets mad at you for taking him to the vet first). I pray nothing's wrong with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I left a message for the vet and am waiting for him to call back. I've got a bad feeling this will be a rough week for the both of us......oftentimes when things like this happen on a Monday, things go downhill from there. I've been going through alot as of late. And now this....I can't take much more. Thank you for your prayers.