kitty has diarhea please help

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Avalon was in a pet hotel for two weeks since we went out of town. No elimination problems there. But now since we got back I gave her fresh clean litter and back to regular diet.

now she has had two loose stools and called the doctor. She told me to give her rice and chicken. I boiled the chicken and removed the skin fat and bones and gave her rice and mixed the two together. But she wont eat. She is also not drinking her water.

I am so worried.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will she eat regular wet food? Go to a pet store and pick up Bene-back - alternatively, you can go to the vet and pick up Fortiflora. Fortiflora, even though I hate the ingredients, will also stimulate her appetite.
Sounds like they fed her a different dry food while there Make sure she eats and drinks!!

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can not do a fast transition on food! It does sound like the kitty hotel did something out of the norm with feedings or the stress from going to the hotel and coming back home is causing her to have an upset tummy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone from the pet hotel and they did say stress and diet switching. They gave her science diet there and she eats purina friskies here. They suggested wet food too. So I go pick up some then.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

I just got off the phone from the pet hotel and they did say stress and diet switching. They gave her science diet there and she eats purina friskies here. They suggested wet food too. So I go pick up some then.
Give her some probiotics.... In the future, always leave her food with the instructions to feed only that.... A kitty should never go through an abrupt food change like that - the diarrhea can last a while

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

will she eat regular wet food? Go to a pet store and pick up Bene-back - alternatively, you can go to the vet and pick up Fortiflora. Fortiflora, even though I hate the ingredients, will also stimulate her appetite.
Excellent advice!
Some canned organic pumpkin, if you have it at your grocery store, can also be added for a bit as a fiber matrix and most cats find it yummy. About a teaspoon to a 5.5oz can is the usual mix. The pet hotel and vet should have known better though, so that's not too confidence inspiring IMO.

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah that is very discouraging when they do that. She does not like foods meant for human though. When I gave the chicken separately at first, she ate some of it and then stopped. She didn't eat the rice though. Then the vet told me to mix them together.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also try baby food, the meat only kind. That's what my kitty was on for about 5 days (she also got been-bac and an anti-diarrhea medicine). I'm now slowly re-introducing canned food. She didn't like the baby food much, tried going for my other cat's dish and even the dog's bowl, but I played food police and she caved.

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave her Purina Friskies canned food and she eats it. No bowel movements though.