Kitty Has Been Gone For 24 Hours

lindseyreese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Our sweet baby Sasha has been gone for about 26 hours now. We're absolutely terrified. Does anyone have any hopeful words to help us? We are so scared. All of our family is in tears. Has anyone ever experienced something similar and had their baby return home? Thanks :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Demi escaped when we took him out for a walk in one of those walking jackets. He got out of it and hid in the woods for 2 days playing with the neighbors' cat. The only way I got him back was with a plate of his favorite dry food. Maggie escaped once too, but she just ran a few laps around the house with me chasing her. A few hours later she was waiting at the door to come in because it was in the cold winter.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yes. Actually, my elder son's cat went missing for 4 days. I advised him to set the litterbox outside where his cat could smell it. I told him to search in the early evening, just after dark, using a flashlight to catch eyeshine that would be undetectable in the day. To look high...trees, rooftops, etc, and to be sure to look in small hidey-holes. Thankfully, Badger showed up at the litter box on the fourth day. Do NOT give up!

Now in addition to the above, you can put out flyers (pictures are great on these), and contact local vets and shelters. Do this even if your cat is microchipped. I was appalled to learn that my local shelter doesn't scan unless an owner calls asking about a pet whose description matches one of the "inmates."

Some of our members have had cats return safely after MONTHS. It is far, far too soon to think the worst!

kdhester15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got done experiencing this! Our cat was missing for an entire month.

We put out a dirty litter box full of her smells to help lure her home as well as a nice comfy crate full of her favorite blankies. We put out food everyday and each day after work I left my undershirt out; nice and smelly. They have surprisingly good homing senses as well as sense of smell. She is actually injured but the night before she came home, I left out my nasty work boots which she had a serious fetish with. The next morning she was in the crate we left out with a sock from my boot!

We used a service that posted on social media, faxed vets offices and provided flyers for us to print as well; they also called neighbors to help canvas the area. We also went out late at night and just walked the neighborhood talking in a normal voice. More than one our male cat went missing and he would come home after several days to us just sitting on the porch talking. It is hard to not know where they are, but keep in mind that staying refreshed, alert and clear headed will yield the best results.