Kitty had kittens!

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some news for you guys. I've been quite reluctant to post this... as I'm afraid that everyone will start getting on my case and telling me to do things which I cannot do. I honestly can NOT get this cat spayed... so please don't mention it. And if you do, would you please not be impolite about it?

Remember Kitty? The stray cat that I have been feeding? She had kittens. I had suspected that she was pregnant for a while, but wasn't quite sure. Anyhow, about 2 months ago her stomach suddenly stopped feeling hard. She was never that big to begin with, so I wasn't sure if she had ever been pregnant in the first place. I kept waiting to see kittens, but after over a month I gave up. But one day... they arrived. She had 4 adorable little kittens. Three boys, and one girl that looks exactly like her. I'll try to post pictures later. They are 8 weeks old now, and I'll try to find them homes for when they turn 12 weeks. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Expect 2-3 litters a year. Every year 'til it kills her. I honestly think it would be cheaper to spay her than to feed all those kittens--they eat like horses! I'm sorry you can't have her spayed :(. Is it financial?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if that sounds rude. . .I don't know if it does. I know you didn't want anybody to mention it. Just a warning--a lot of people don't know how many kittens a cat can have, so it's best to be warned so you can be prepared to care for and find homes for a dozen kittens a year. I don't mean to attack at all, I know that sometimes certain expenses are not an option. But just so you can be prepared :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes... I do know how many kittens she my have. :( I may be able to get her spayed after all, but I'm still not sure yet. I'm sorry I can't explain in depth but I'd rather not speak about it on here, at least for the time being. And yes, it is partly financial.

ETA: Oh, and Willowy, you honestly didn't sound rude at all. Thank you for that. It definitely would be cheaper to spay her than to feed so many kittens. I'll try to get it done.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it turns out you can't get her done turning her over to the shelter would be the best thing in that case.  There is no way to spay/neuter all the kittens and they themselves may end up in similar situation.  She is pregnant now or will be VERY shortly.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is partly financial.

It would have cost me a lot less to get a female cat spayed than look after last year's foster and her five kittens...  If you have financial problems, also remember that unspayed females can run into major vet bills if they need a section, or have related health issues - pyometra and breast cancer are the two main ones I know about.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she inside now? If the kittens are 8 weeks she's either been in heat already or will be very soon, and if outside she'll be pregnant again.

Ideally the kittens should be vaccinated twice and spayed/neutered before rehoming at 12 weeks, at bare minimum a vet check and first vax. Of course they should also be flea and worm free. 
If it turns out you can't get her done turning her over to the shelter would be the best thing in that case.  

I agree. 

Perhaps there's a low cost option to get mum and the kittens done.