Kitty First Day Getting Spayed!

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! so i’m probably going to be posting a lot during my cats spay recovery because i’ve never had this done before so every little thing is scaring me right now. the vet told me i need to feed her tonight and i tried to feed her when she got home and she didn’t eat anything or use the bathroom, she could barely stand so she just plopped over on her side so i had to pick her up and put her on my bed. she’s been sleeping for about an hour or so now and she’s been home for about 2, maybe 2 and a half hours. i’m supposed to give her pain medicine at 7. i noticed she looks significantly thinner than she did last night and her sides look hollowed-out, so i started crying and freaking out. i’ve picked her up a total of 3 times and she meowed everytime bc he’s in pain. ): i hope i didn’t mess up her organs or something. i also noticed moment ago she was sleeping with her mouth open and one of her eyes was a bit open too so i was freaked out that she died or is dying.... here are a couple pictures i took but her mouth was opened wider before i took these. ugh this is very stressful for me..... i’m getting paranoid about every little thing.

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

Your sweet girl just had major surgery! She is coming down off the anesthesia, which takes a good bit of time, even in humans. Just make her comfortable and don't let her groom/lick/otherwise mess with her stitches.

She cries when you pick her up because she is sore from being opened up. If you can, keep a bed for her on ground level in a quiet room with easy access to a litterbox. Give her one with low sides so she doesn't have to step up very high to access her box.

I would try to feed her every hour or so. It doesn't surprise me that she has no eaten yet, I think that's normal. She is sore and sleepy- I wouldn't want to eat a meal, either! Keep up with her pain meds, even if she isn't acting like she is in pain. Cats are very good at hiding pain.

Keep checking in on her every so often. She will probably be sleeping, which is normal. Give her chin scritchies (avoid the tummy area or any area that makes her arch her back) and keep her as still as you can. She will be right as rain in a day or two. It's stressful but you got this!

:hangin::rock:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely she won't want anything to eat until the anesthesia fully wears off and she is a little bit more stable on her feet. If she doesn't want to eat, don't give her pain meds, though, as that might upset her tummy and then you'll be dealing with a barfy cat as well as a dopey kitty. Most likely she'll sleep until later this evening. When you offer food, just offer a small amount since she hasn't eaten all day. Just offer every hour or so. If she doesn't want to eat, then take it away and try again later. I wouldn't be too concerned about tonight, but if she hasn't started eating by tomorrow, then I'd be concerned.