Kitty Diapers????

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever heard of or used diapers for cats??? I know this sounds insane, but I am starting to believe that this is my last option with my cat Bella. She is a beautiful girl with a horrible disease. I rescued her a little over a year ago, shortly after she was diagnosed with a severe case of Irritable Bowel Disease. Over the last year, we've tried just about everything. Different combinations of medications, food, litter boxes, and ever different types of litter. She still regularly defecates on the carpet. As a vet tech myself, I am becoming very frustrated
that I cannot solve this problem...or at least improve it! I work for two vet offices that are very helpful, but we still cannot control her problem. The diaper suggestion at first was a joke as my boyfriend stood over a pile of her poop on the carpet saying, "What she really needs is a freakin' diaper!!"
We laughed for a while and then realized that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea
. So, if anyone out there has heard of anything of the sort, please let me know. We are desperate! Thanks!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can get dog diapers for female dogs in heat. i know calvin klein made some! maybe a small size like for chiuahahas (spell?) would work.

trouble is cats dont like wearing stuff. it makes them freak out. guess she'd have to get used to it though if you've tried everything else.

or what about diapers for newborns with a tail hole cut out?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen those diapers for dogs, they sell them at Petsmart... I'm not sure how well a cat would handle it though. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am worried about how well she will ajust to them if I do find some that work. It will probably take a while, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'll have to go look at PetSmart in the dog section.
Thanks for the suggestions...keep 'em coming.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be worried about the infection factor of having so much waste just sit there next to the skin of the cat. Surely there has to be another way? Have you joined the support group for the people who have cats with IBS? They would have good suggestions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Yes, I know. I would have to change her immediately and I know that is not any better than what I am doing now. Now, I just watch her and when she acts like she's getting ready to go, I chase her away from the carpet and into the litter box. However, this only works when I'm there and I notice that she's about to go. I am still reasearching the diapers and I have a lot of concerns like infection, etc. So far I'm not thinking it's such a good idea since I have a lot of concerns, and I can't find anyone who has made it work. Hissy, where do I go to join the IBS support group??

catmistress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to the forum and want to know if anyone has actually used the diapers successfullY? Has infection been a problem? I know this sounds gross, but how do you actually clean them up once you take the diper off? And, the thread seemed to end after the question about contacting the IBS support group for suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`d think cleaning the floor would be easier than cleaning a cat that is trying to get away from the procedure.
Do you have to have carpeting...or could you do lenolium or tile or hardwood wherever she is in the home.....would`nt that would be easier to clean???
Linda

catmistress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, she's 20 years old and has developed some confusion about the litterbox. We've had her checked out---it's not health related but instead is age related. We have litterboxes everywhere, three in the room where she tends to hang out. Hard to explain but we have a big, open, modern house and many rooms do not have doors. We've accepted the fact that when she dies we'll just have to replace carpet. The problem is, every year at Christmas we take a 3 day car trip to my parents home where we stay 3 weeks. We have three other cats who also go. We don't want to board her or leave her home to be checked on once a day---she's very social and that might cause more problems. But, we can't have her peeing and pooping all over my parent's new home either, which, of course, is also full of carpet. Three weeks just seems to long to leave her. Help!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`d think that 3 weeks would be too long to leave any cat pretty much alone. I don`t have any idea to offer to you other than not going away at all....or maybe having your parents come to your place this year. This kitty probably won`t be around too many more years....and you`d hate to have her become really ill while you are gone and no one be around for her....I guess under the circumstances, if it was me, i`d do what i felt was best for her. No matter what anyone elses opinion is on here, ultimately you are the only one who can decide what that would have to be.
Linda

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catmistress, 20 is a wonderful old age for a cat to live. My suggestion would be to choose a room in your parents house that the cats will stay in. After all, it's only 3 weks. If that room is carpeted, you can buy cheap linoleum or sheets of plastic to tape down to catch any accidents. You can let the cats out of the room a few times a day and just watch her like a hawk while she's out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There's a woman on a German cat site who took in a partially paralyzed cat, an abused rescue from Spain, three years ago. Luna has a "wheelchair", which she gets around in surprisingly well, and is incontinent. Her guardian uses newborn Pampers on her.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am seriously considering getting some newborn pampers for my Pete. He insists on peeing on my bed because he has a neuro-synaptical hole in his head. (joke). I thought I would use the smallest so that I can let him into my bedroom and I don't care what he does, he would be covered.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My next door neighbor puts diapers (doggy diapers!) on her
Bichon frise. It works really well. Her mom made cloth covers,
she lines the inside with diaper stuff or "pee" pads for puppies
housebreaking... Swears it works. With some adjusting would
be perfect thing for kitties. Surprised no one has marketed such
a product!

catmistress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone has given great suggestions, but has anyone actually figured out the best way to actually clean a cat if you use the diapers? Jcat, is the German site written in German? I tried putting a cabbage patch doll diaper (and I think small or premie diapers would work just as well) on my cat. They come in a little package in the doll section at Walmart. I just cut a tail hole and she was okay with it. She really is a good cat. However, clean up was a mess and, of course, she hated it. Wondering if there is anyway to clean her without traumatizing her. Has anyone actually tried this? Thanks.

isisgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My cat Isis is paralyzed and has been for about 8 years now and wears diapers and does good with them. I make my on by cutting a hole for her tail and taping around the hole so the padding don't come out. I have to drain her bladder about 4 times a day or more if she does the other. I clean her up with diapers wipes or a wash clothe. 

kizzlekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are the best kitty mama EVER!! People tell me I go overboard doing whatever needs or can be done for my cats -- I figure that merely reflects THEIR limitations in caring for pets -- and when I read about someone like you, it just warms my heart. Well done!