Kitty Dandruff

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been reading some old threads on dandruff and I am starting to get a little worried!!! My baby Buttons (7 yrs.) has dandruff. One of the threads said this can be linked to diabetes. Well, Buttons is very over weight - she only weighs 12 pounds but she has a very small frame. I know in humans that diabetes and weight are linked together, is it the same for cats? Also, I only bathe her twice a year so I know it is not from bathing. The vet noticed it during her yearly but he only suggested giving her some fattier food. I am cautious of doing that though because of her weight (she can't even clean her tooshie because she is so fat - the other cats try to do it for her though)! The other threads said dandruff can be a sign of severe medical conditions and she has had dandruff for about 2 years now. Should I have a blood panel done even though the vet didn't suggest it?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dandruff can be the result of her being unable to groom her back! Also, dandruff can be the result of stress or to overly dry air (like in the winter). It seems as if the thing you need to do is help her loose weight. In the meantime, try grooming her everyday in the meantime to help keep her clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks lotsocats!!! I keep one bowl of dry food out for the three of them to share. The three of them only get 1 3/4 cups of food per day. I have also tried giving the same amount in a light variety but it never seems to make a difference. The other two don't have a weight problem. I have tried getting her to play for exercise but she is a very lethargic/lazy kind of cat. When she does play it's like she is playing in slow motion - it's sooooo cute. I have also tried can food so I can make sure of how much she is eating but none of them like can food!!!! Do you or anyone else have any suggestions or are there any threads I can refer to for weight management? Thanks!!!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to put one on a diet and not the others is to seperate them at meal time. I have one overweight cat out of 11. I cant feed 11 cats in different rooms every night. If she becomes very unhealthy, I will have to put her in a room for a month or two. You may want to consult a vet about a good program. Maybe with just the 3, you can feed the one in a seperate room while the other two eat.
As for the dandruff, you can add some fish oil to her food. It is not enough to put the pounds on. There are several companies who make it with some added vitamins.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Overweight cats are usually too fat to jump very high. Therefore, if you like to keep food out all day for the other cats, just keep it in a place that is too high for the overweight cat to jump but low enough for the others (such as the washing machine).

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure about your vet? I am surprised he/she hasn't mentioned weight as a problem. Like people, cats can develop diabetis, heart problems, and poor muscle tone (from being lethargic with all that weight). Your cat can also develop breathing problems.

On the other hand, maybe you haven't been listening. Maybe you mentioned that it would be difficult to manage one cat on a separate diet and the vet just didn't press the issue. Check first, and maybe put some pressure on your vet to offer you a program. If you're not happy, move to someone else. You need good and supportive advice about weight loss. If you aren't getting it, you might seriously want to consider a different vet.

Meanwhile, spend a little time with the cats with some stretching type play-toys (feathers or balls on sticks are ideal, with your participation to encourage the cats to want to play). Not too much at a time for your overweight cat, but maybe for a few minutes several times a day at first.

Good luck on this problem. What you find out will help others, I am sure, so let us know what did or didn't work for you and your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catspride,

Actually, when I mentioned to the vet that I wanted Buttons to lose some weight and I was having difficulty trying to come up with a solution he told me: "a fat cat is a happy cat." I almost wanted to say "a fat cat is not a happy cat." You should see how hard she contimplates whether or not to jump up onto something. I'll keep everyone updated on her weight situation. Since we have been in the house for a month now (versus the apartment) I think she may have lost just a little due to the fact there is more room to be a cat.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't beleive the vet said that! Every vet I have had or worked with has mentioned weight issues with the cats and dogs. I guess the vet is okay with decreasing his patients lives by years. Make sure and keep us updated on the diet

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When any of my cats begin to get that fat or bloated look, my vets (there is a small hospital full of them) start badgering me with questions -- when did I last worm them? Might be a sign of worms. Do they urinate normally? Might be a sign of granules in the urine (hence blockage of the urinary tract or bladder). Are they vomiting hairballs (or having problems with defacation)? Might be a sign of hairballs. They check carefully by feel for any lumps, growths, etc.

My cats get a lot of outdoor exercise, and if they start to gain weight, I start to wonder why. Most cats won't eat "too much" -- even when I leave dry food out for them to snack whenever they get the munchies -- but I have had several that will eat as long as something is in front of them, and I try to deal with that by various strategic schedules and placement for the feeding dishes.

I also can't imagine a vet saying that a fat cat is a happy cat -- unless he is using street language -- a fat cat being someone who has lots of money and a Mercedes...! I really do think you need a different vet -- someone who understands the many, many complications that can come from overweight. The main thing is to be absolutely sure that the cat doesn't have any internal problems that could cause the excessive weight. After that, if everything is OK, you have to put the cat on the equivalent of a Weighwatcher's Diet!

Good luck.