kittens

maryloumulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my two little girls were born one week ago I will be bringing them home on my birthday December 16th and I have no idea what is the first thing I need to do when I get them home I need lots of help people

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A day or two before you bring them home, set up a place for them. This can be a bedroom or a bathroom (if you use the bathroom, make sure you put the lid down on the toilet), but you'll want to confine them. This can make it easier for them to begin to adapt to their new home and family, and if they hide you know where they are. Obviously, you want to kitten-proof this space, so crawl around and make sure that there are no hidey-holes that would be dangerous for them, or exposed wires, dangerous house plants, etc...Set up their litter box at one end of the room. Their food and water will go on the opposite side. Make sure you find out what they are being fed and get some of it, regardless of what it is. You'll want to keep them on the diet they're used to at least for the first few days, before you begin to change them if you are going to. Give them safe places to hide (like their cat carrier, a cat tree, or a kitty pyramid or cube bed), and toys to play with. Silly springs, sponge balls, Cat Dancers, crinkle poms, etc...Are all great toys. They'll need something to scratch as well. You can start with something simple like a TurboScratcher or Alpine Climb, but you'll want to get something more substantial very soon. Find out what sort of kitty litter they are used to as well, and start them with that. When you bring them home, let them loose in the room of your choosing. They may hide or they may explore. Spend time in the room with them, either just quietly reading, or playing with them. When they're eating, drinking and using the litter box, when they seem confident and playful, then you can begin to let them explore the rest of the house. Kittens usually adapt well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, 16 dec is in 6 weeks, they will be barely 8 weeks, right? Be aware its the very earliest...

If you have ANY possibility to fetch them later, and let them be with momma and siblings say 12 weeks, it would be splendid.
It would give shortly after the New Year, right? Good and well, so the holiday excitement will be over.

It depends of course on the owner om momma...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryloumulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A day or two before you bring them home, set up a place for them. This can be a bedroom or a bathroom (if you use the bathroom, make sure you put the lid down on the toilet), but you'll want to confine them. This can make it easier for them to begin to adapt to their new home and family, and if they hide you know where they are. Obviously, you want to kitten-proof this space, so crawl around and make sure that there are no hidey-holes that would be dangerous for them, or exposed wires, dangerous house plants, etc...Set up their litter box at one end of the room. Their food and water will go on the opposite side. Make sure you find out what they are being fed and get some of it, regardless of what it is. You'll want to keep them on the diet they're used to at least for the first few days, before you begin to change them if you are going to. Give them safe places to hide (like their cat carrier, a cat tree, or a kitty pyramid or cube bed), and toys to play with. Silly springs, sponge balls, Cat Dancers, crinkle poms, etc...Are all great toys. They'll need something to scratch as well. You can start with something simple like a TurboScratcher or Alpine Climb, but you'll want to get something more substantial very soon. Find out what sort of kitty litter they are used to as well, and start them with that. When you bring them home, let them loose in the room of your choosing. They may hide or they may explore. Spend time in the room with them, either just quietly reading, or playing with them. When they're eating, drinking and using the litter box, when they seem confident and playful, then you can begin to let them explore the rest of the house. Kittens usually adapt well.
hi lazy, I just found your reply I am so excited with what you told me I appreciate it so much that you took the time to help me out.
I live alone and I'm in a wheelchair most of the time and my home consists of a kitchen and my bedroom.
I am not able to crawl around but I definitely can roll around and make sure everything is safe for them.
I think about them 24/7 I'm so excited I'm going to give them so much love.

maryloumulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, 16 dec is in 6 weeks, they will be barely 8 weeks, right? Be aware its the very earliest...

If you have ANY possibility to fetch them later, and let them be with momma and siblings say 12 weeks, it would be splendid.
It would give shortly after the New Year, right? Good and well, so the holiday excitement will be over.

It depends of course on the owner om momma...

maryloumulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi StefanZ, I just found your reply and I thank you so much for your advice.
I thought 8 weeks was standard but I'm going to take your advice and make sure they stay with their mom until after the New Year.
My Pastor has the mommy cat Abby who had six little girls.
I'm sure when I tell him that it's better Daisy and pearl stay with Abby until they're about 12 weeks old I'm sure he'll be okay with that.
I want to do the best thing possible for them and if that means I have to wait a few more weeks to bring them home that's fine. thanks again for your reply.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got some great advice. You will have more time to kitten proof everything and get their area set up for them now they can hopefully stay with the mom longer. That is ideal but I have raised two kittens adopted from town shelters who were abandoned with no mom etc.- one was 6 weeks maybe another was 8 weeks and they had no issues with temperament or anything else. They were my sweet beloved forever tortie girls. I also fostered kittens for a rescue, mom was out of the picture for various reasons, who were pretty young and they also were little sweeties with no issues. One I rescued at a gas station and the rescue helped her get adopted.

I can’t wait for you to get your babies home and to see pics of them 😻