kittens won't let each other use the litterbox??

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Please don't use a clumping litter if there is any chance at all that the kittens will try to eat it. If they do swallow any it will cause an intestinal blockage that could quite easily kill them.

If you can get it in your area there is a litter made from a soy bi-product that is flushable, compostable and safe even if ingested. Google Tofu Cat litter and see what you can find.

If not, stick to the paper pellets. It really is serious if they swallow clumping clay litters, so please don't take the risk

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would avoid clumping litter too, it is just for a while until they grow up a little, probably 6 months old. You can't watch them all the time and it just isn't worth it. just get plain non-clumping litter and see how they do. ALL kittens seem to want to taste the litter, just some eat it more than others. They will outgrow this. All seem to eventually!

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can say that with seven kittens raised from birth, they have been around clay litter the entire time. They used to get it on their nose but since I was feeding them all the time I was able to keep them clean. They never had any issues with litter besides getting it all over my carpet. They are now almost 2 months old (1 month 30 days to be exact) and have been very good about using their litter boxes and not eating any of it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Non-cumping litter for a few more months until they are past the "explore the world with your mouth" stage. Better safe than sorry. And that stage will be over with in the next 3-4 months, and you can choose a litter that suits all of you.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are many brands out there that could be safe and inexpensive. I never recommend clay anyways but try to check out the prices on other paper, wheat, grass or corn litters. Most rescues won't put them on clay litter here for the risks of eating them.

You can try two litter boxes for adjustment. It doesn't have to be a real litter, you can cover one of the cardboard boxes that comes with their food in a plastic garbage bag and put the litter in that!

I always put 100% new litter in one and 100% old litter in the other and let the cats go at their own adjustment. With kittens, you can use a tissue to move a peice of poo over to the new box so encourage use.