Kittens With Coccidia On Albon. Still Having Problems

Soaperjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have kittens that are going thru this. Kitties have been on Albon along with their mother for five days. They got better after two days only to start getting liquid gassy stools once more. They were always eating before now will only nurse. They are seven weeks old. They are playful. They as well as their Mom have been sick since I got them to foster at age four wks. Have seen white particles when they had cow pie stools. Don’t know where to turn.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The white particles are either undigested milk or from the Albon.

1. Ask your vet for ponazuril. It will totally knock the coccidia out in 1-3 days. It’s an equine product but is known by vets for its off-label use in felines for coccidia treatment.

2. Otherwise, I’d suggest a combination of metronidazole and clavamox. The first will kill parasites; the second treats intestinal bacteria. They may have both still. The combo tends to work well over 7-10 days. Stronger than the gentle Albon.

Keep in mind that meds themselves can cause tummy upset and diarrhea. Tummy upset can lead to less appetite.

How many days are left on the Albon?

You may want to give them a few days off after it’s finished, to see if they return to eating and more normal poops.

If not, go for suggestion #2.

Poor kitties. Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure these white particles aint tapeworms?

Otherwise I support the above and suggest a probiotic to help regulate the intestine bacteria. Even a mild full fat yoghurt could help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soaperjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The white particles are either undigested milk or from the Albon.

1. Ask your vet for ponazuril. It will totally knock the coccidia out in 1-3 days. It’s an equine product but is known by vets for its off-label use in felines for coccidia treatment.

2. Otherwise, I’d suggest a combination of metronidazole and clavamox. The first will kill parasites; the second treats intestinal bacteria. They may have both still. The combo tends to work well over 7-10 days. Stronger than the gentle Albon.

Keep in mind that meds themselves can cause tummy upset and diarrhea. Tummy upset can lead to less appetite.

How many days are left on the Albon?

You may want to give them a few days off after it’s finished, to see if they return to eating and more normal poops.

If not, go for suggestion #2.

Poor kitties. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soaperjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Meds were switched and all cats were placed onPanacur for three days along with SMZ twice daily for ten days. Took about 3 days and they started having more energy and becoming playful once again. The SMZ is brutal stuff to gibe. Cats start to throw themselves backwards and they began to froth at the mouth and slobber heavily for about an hour. Then things start to return to normal. Then they eat and drink and sleep. Weight is going up quite fast. They are now on eye drops for runny eyes. Almost thru with all meds then I two weeks they go back to the shelter. IF they stay healthy!