Kitten's Upcoming Spay

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rose, my new (female, obv) kitten is scheduled for her spay in a bit over a month. Both her and Jack (2 yr male) love running and jumping around and grooming each other. I'm really glad that they're getting along so well, but i'm not sure how to prepare for her spay. I got jack post neuter, so this is the first time i've dealt with a major surgery for a cat.

Everything i've read indicates that Rose should be kept isolated in a spot where she can't jump around. They really like each others company and playing, and I don't know how to do that without distressing both of them.

Help?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't easy keeping a cat from jumping even a little. I've never had to resort to a collar or onesie, but I have kept them in a spare room or the bathroom a few days immediately post-surgery. It is stressful for them, but it can't be helped.

You'll probably have some non-recognition aggression, which might put a damper on her enthusiasm as well as some lasting effects of the anesthetic, which will do the same. Jack will most likely hiss at or will bop Rose on the head until she starts to smell like she used to. This takes a day or two to resolve in most cases.

Keep an eye on her to see she doesn't disturb the incision and take appropriate measures if she starts doing so.

In ten days or so, she should be pretty well healed-up.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worried about that too, but keeping my cats together has never caused any problems. I have never used an E-collar either. The other cat hiss at them for a few days because they small different (like said above) but you can hurry that up by rubbing her down with a hand towel and then rubbing it on Jack. The first day she may very well be subdued and may avoid Jack and sleep it off hidden. Cats know their limits, my newly spayed cats jump on the couch, bed, etc., and are fine. Licking the wound a little is not bad, they do keep it clean that way. Just keep an eye on the incision and contact your vet if it looks infected. Thank you for spaying her, I know how stomach-churning this can be.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. She's going to have some kitty onesies that I was going to rub on her and jack before hand just in case. She's also going to stay in the bedroom (still her saferoom) for at least a few days until she's feeling a bit better. I've also been told switching them to pellet litter a week before the surgery helps to limit licking and debris near the area?

I was thinking of taking at least the day of the spay off form work, but its a Wednesday, so at least working from home on the Thursday just to monitor her? I feel like I'm being over cautious but i don't know how much watching she'll need.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a problem with the litter. My ferals go in dirt right after too. She will more than likely sleep that first day or two, bringing them to the vet is a stressful time for them. If you are going to use a onsie, start putting it on her now, you would hate for her to struggle with it when she is spayed. It is hard not to worry, I have had countless spayed and still get sick. It is worth it though, I have had too many die giving birth, it's much more risky. None during spaying......

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's getting alot more comfortable with me (i've had her a 6 weeks now). She'll come to me and sniff me, and she ate a treat out of my hands for the first time yesterday (SQUUUEEEEE). But she's still real skittish if i move towards her. I want to try and get her a bit calmer before i try getting her in the onsies, but yeah, i'll get her used to them before hand.

I can agree on the vet being traumatizing. I had to take her for her final shots two weeks after i got her. It was supposed to be the afternoon, but the doctor had to cancel and they squeezed me in right away. But to get there on time i had to catch her rather than tempting her gently into the carrier. She hasn't let me pet her since.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The onesie worked great for Delilah and I didn't have get her used to them first. The only problem I had was with one that didn't have a neckline that could be made tighter. She wriggled out of it. The drawstring necklines worked much better. If the ones you got don't have a drawstring you might want to get a baby diaper pin to tighten up the neck after you get it on her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Rose and Jack....I just love that! I am by no means telling you to be careless, but I have spayed numerous female ferals who spent one night at the vets, in the trap if they were wild enough that putting them in a kennel would be a problem. All were released the next day and no one suffered any ill effects. My avatar is one of the ex-ferals kittens who was spayed and released, later rethinking her life and deciding that coming into the house would be much more preferable.

I think that you have a good plan in place and have a lot of good advice here already. As for staying home, I have always done that with any animal who had a surgical procedure. Even if Rose is fine, it will spare you one day at work being worried about what she is doing while she is alone.

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The onesie worked great for Delilah and I didn't have get her used to them first. The only problem I had was with one that didn't have a neckline that could be made tighter. She wriggled out of it. The drawstring necklines worked much better. If the ones you got don't have a drawstring you might want to get a baby diaper pin to tighten up the neck after you get it on her.
Thanks for the heads up. I added some strips of adjustable velcro at the back, but i'm pretty handy wiht a needle and can add some drawstrings if needs be.

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rose and Jack....I just love that! I am by no means telling you to be careless, but I have spayed numerous female ferals who spent one night at the vets, in the trap if they were wild enough that putting them in a kennel would be a problem. All were released the next day and no one suffered any ill effects. My avatar is one of the ex-ferals kittens who was spayed and released, later rethinking her life and deciding that coming into the house would be much more preferable.

I think that you have a good plan in place and have a lot of good advice here already. As for staying home, I have always done that with any animal who had a surgical procedure. Even if Rose is fine, it will spare you one day at work being worried about what she is doing while she is alone.
LOL, yeah the Jack and Rose thing was 100% intentional. Titanic reference for my regular freinds and Dr Who reference for my nerd friends.