Kittens terrified after first vet visit

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had a horrible time trying to get my kittens I. Carrier for vet visit. Bloody everywhere from them trying to escape.

their foster parent recommended during their vet visit we block off the couches and areas they would hide in and that’s what we’re doing. I’m worried though they will be so depressed they will never forgive us.

Is this the right move or should we bring back the couches they can hide under?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Possibly this article will help. It might be a matter of getting the cats used to the carrier more than blocking things off.
Beware The Dreaded Cat Carrier – TheCatSite Articles

Some people do block off couches and chairs and it is not a bad idea. It is not possible at my house so I usually put the carrier in the bathroom in the shower when no one is looking and then, when the time is up, bring the cat in with me and close the door so that no escape is possible as I put him in the carrier.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they back from the vet? If so, let them hide and soothe themselves. They'll forgive you.

Now between vet visits, I recommend desensitization training starting with leaving their carriers out in their environment and frequently placing treats within their carriers so they don't see them as something foreign and scary. When you can easily get them to walk into their carriers for treats, close the door on them. Talk calmly to them for a minute. Then release them and put treats back in their carrier for them. Practice this until it's no big deal for them. Then the next step is getting them to enter the carrier, close the door on them, and lift them to a seat next to you for a mock car ride. Or walk them around the house in their carriers. Get them comfortable riding in their carriers. When they're good with this, practice car rides that don't end at the vet office. The final step in their desensitization would be to bring them to the vet for a no-poke visit--they go in and meet with the vet but they aren't stuck with any needles (or thermometers.)

All of this is to build up their comfort level with every scary aspect of a vet visit. Practice this regularly between vet visits and you should have fewer issues when you really need to get them to the vet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're asking how to get them into their carriers before you have them desensitized, lead them into a bathroom with treats or food where the carriers are already out and ready to go. Close the door behind you. There's very few places they can hide in a bathroom. In a real pinch, you can throw a towel over one, scoop her up wrapped in the towel, and drop both towel and cat into the carrier. Repeat for the other cat. Use separate carriers so you don't have one escaping while you're trying to put the other one in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet and one of the cats was meowing constantly (almost like calling for help) and neither wanted to play or have snacks.

They hid under the couch (which my family did not block off) which was very frustrating and moved furniture around which only confused them more.

Not sure what to do.

Will try to do the carrier strategy in the future.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they want to hide after the vet, let them. I always brought Krista home, plated some food, and then made myself scarce. I usually went to the tap room for a beer. When I came back, she had gotten the experience out of her system, and had no hard feelings.