Kittens Stool is Mushy

Christinapa9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new kitten who was in a foster home and the first night we had her she had regular stool but she now has a little bit more liquid stool. I did give her different dry food than they had given her. We also have another cat so she’s still only let in one room. Is this a change of food and a new place. Or should I change her diet in any way

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the new food. You need to slowly transition them from the old to the new over a few weeks so not to upset their tummies. Slowly add more of the new food to the old until it's all new food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinapa9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I did try to do that but unfortunately I only had a little bit of the dry food that she had in her foster home. She still doesn’t seem to have gotten used to the new food yet or maybe it’s just adjusting to the new home? Is there anything else I can try?

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I did try to do that but unfortunately I only had a little bit of the dry food that she had in her foster home. She still doesn’t seem to have gotten used to the new food yet or maybe it’s just adjusting to the new home? Is there anything else I can try?
She probably just needs time to adjust to the new food, in the meantime you could ask the vet to prescribe some probiotic to help firm her stools up. I got some for my kittens that you sprinkle on the food, cleared up the diarrhea within 3 days. Is she on wet food too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinapa9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! The pet store recommended the pumpkin so have started to try that and the vet also let me know to try a probiotic. Yes, she stayed on the same wet food.