Kittens. So Confused ...

Kerry56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bit of a sad confusing story.
Out beautiful long haired tortie girl gave birth to her first kitten on Friday evening of last week (1st and last ever litter, aged 5) - one ginger kitten - all appeared well - but overnight I went downstairs at 2am and baby was meowing and not latched on - I tried to help it on but it wouldn’t so went and brought food in for mum - mum gulped food then looked up and sadly and so quickly kitten had stopped breathing. Called husband down to check, he confirmed and we decided to leave it where it was for a bit while mum came to terms with it. Couldn’t help start beat myself up with what-ifs and what went wrong, then next day it had completely vanished, and as she’d only had one we took her to vets and she had X-ray and there was another inside - a good 30hrs after she’d had first. Agreed to emergency section and spay at the same time and home came a scrap of a kitten also ginger. Cat was poorly and so we hand fed for the first 3 feeds but then to our relief mum took over (we also have a newborn baby ourselves!). All seemed to be going well despite vet saying not to hold out much hope, until yesterday morning when I went to look for kitten, 5am thank goodness before daughter, and just found a head. Felt pretty traumatised all day seeing image and thinking of the poor kitten and what might have been wrong , buried it, said goodbye to both kittens with my young daughters, my eldest also went through a bit of blaming herself which was heartbreaking, but then a good 12 hrs later my husband found a live kitten upstairs in a draw! So confused because it seems much bigger than both, doesn’t have the swollen genitals kitten two has and seems a bit different but also ginger. So confused and feels like an emotional rollercoaster! Could this be kitten 2, moved and then replaced with the head of the one that had died initially but just grown a bit and swelling gone down? Or the initial one maybe not have been dead although it really did seem it and in between cat had vets operation and a full night with kitten 2? Or a 3rd kitten born before the rest - but would also have meant it surfing at the same time? So confused, but somehow feeling a little better if the head was in deed the original poor little kitten ... can anyone help? (my memories of a cat having kittens just the once when I was little were so straightforward, not like this, still feel sad and a bit traumatised but what I found but having the live kitten again feels a relief so hoping it stays ok although that’s a fear too).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Confusing is right! Possibilities:
  • Kitten 1 had stopped breathing, but could be revived with a bit of grooming from the mother, who immediately hid the kitten in a "safe" place (by feline definition of "safe") after providing first aid. Quite possible.
  • This is kitten 2 and the head you found is from kitten 1; Mom has moved her one remaining kitten to a "safe" place.
  • This is really kitten 0, and both 1 and 2 are dead.
No matter which it is, it appears that Mom has eaten most or all of at least 1 dead kitten, which is not uncommon, and probably not worth worrying about.

I don't think you'll ever know for sure which this is, but I also think it doesn't matter. You (and the Mom cat) have one living, apparently healthy kitten - love it and enjoy it. That's what's important.

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While we find it distrubing, it really isn't uncommon for Mom cats (and other predators) to eat their dead young. It prevent the body from drawing predators and Mom needs the nutrition. You will probably never know what happened with the babies but it is good you still have a healthy little one. Best wishes for that little one and for Mom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kerry56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw thank you both. It was just a horrid shock. You’re right, let’s just enjoy this one and hope he surivives. I think it must be number 2 really, newborns wouldn’t last without mum contact for several days surely would they? Somehow feels better if it was the one who’d already died ... poor mum though, keeps switching between live kitten and searching where she left the remains of the other one ... buried in the garden. Hopefully that’ll fade. So lovely having kitten though after packing everything up - complete surprise! And he looks like he’s getting fat too so

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's been putting on weight he hasn't been without mum contact; she's been nursing him regularly. The fact that he's been growing well is the reason I think he's healthy, and likely to survive.

I once knew a St. Bernard who lost all but one of her pups, and decided she had to protect the one remaining pup at all cost, so she hid him. Unfortunately, her idea of a safe hiding place for a puppy was underneath area rugs. As long as the pup was little, their humans were basically walking on eggshells all the time, for fear that they'd put a foot in the wrong place and kill the puppy. Just be glad that your mother cat thinks "safe" means inside a drawer, not under a rug. :evilgrin:

Mum will get over it. The one remaining kitten will keep her busy enough that she won't have much time to search.

Be sure to supplement the mother's diet with some kitten food; she needs the extra calories and nutrition while she's nursing.

Margret

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could possibly give her some foster kitten, if you think she needs more to do, to occupy her mind.

Just be sure the foster is healthy, that he didnt become foster and orphan because of some horrible disease.

Kerry56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought most gingers were boys but it doesn’t look definite to me?

Kerry56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone - s/he seems to be doing really well but we’re trying not to get too attached. Mum seems occupied enough and is being an excellent Mum, very glad it’s the draw and not under our carpet!

Also whether there’s anything different we need to do with only kittens?

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say boy but the photos are kind of fuzzy to be sure. Most orange tabbies are boys so between the safer bet and the photos boy is most likely.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, most gingers are male because the gene for the ginger pigment is on the X chromosome. So for a female to be ginger, she has to have inherited the gene from both parents, while a ginger male gets the "ginger" gene only from his mother (who is usually a calico or tortie but could be ginger herself).

I can't tell whether your kitten is male or female. Do you know what the mother looks like? This might be one of those chances to teach your daughter that sometimes you have to wait for the answer to your question :) Congratulations on your new kitten :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Now that we've seen his butt, how about a pic of his face? And mama's too. :)
I'm sorry you had to go through all that, sounds horrific. Do you have 3 kids yourself - older, younger, infant? Is the drawer where the kitten was hidden anywhere near where the mom gave birth?

Kerry56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mum gave birth to the first downstairs and the second which survived via c-section so no ...

Our girls, 8 and 4 - and 9 week old boy! - all said goodbye at the joint garden funeral, headstones and all, then found the live one again the next day!

Fingers crossed he survived, all was a bit traumatic but somehow finding this one live (again!) made it feel better. Poor kitten 1 though, if we’d have known we may have intervened

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Mom is a tortishell there is a chance it's a girl. If Dad was orange as well, very high chances. If Dad wasn't orange, more likely a boy.

Try to get a non-blurry photo in a week or two and we can take a second glance.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's their drawer now, hope it was winter stuff in there.
Maybe 4 year old won't remember, but 8 year old will. They'll love the kitten even more now. Congrats on your growing family!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm inclined to say male with the pictures at normal size, but when I zoom in it looks like the opening is a slit. . .is it round or a slit? But it really looks like his little testicles are coming in, and that can't be blamed on shading like with darker cats, so I'm pretty sure he's a boy.

Kerry56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it’s a slit! But there’s also the little bulges either side which is confusing. Kitten 1 was an obvious boy ... vet was a bit unsure at one week too!