Kittens problem

Simon.1994

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys , So 2 weeks ago i had a post with my mums kittens , and one of them stoped eating , lost weight shes throwing up everything shes eating and has diarrhea (yellowish greenish clay like with mucus init) they have been dewormed , but tday the other kitten shows the same symptoms what the problem could be ? ( the kittens behaviour has changed they are mostly sleeping , not interested in food , liking their mouths , lethargic )

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old are they and where are they at with their kitten shots? With kittens that have these issues my first thought is feline distemper which actually is a type of parvo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simon.1994

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are they and where are they at with their kitten shots? With kittens that have these issues my first thought is feline distemper which actually is a type of parvo.
they are 5 weeks old . they didnt had any vaccine yet as im not home in my country and my mum cannot take them

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
These are the kittens you posted pics of in another forum who were so cute? This does not sound good and someone needs to get them to a vet if possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello guys , So 2 weeks ago i had a post with my mums kittens , and one of them stoped eating , lost weight shes throwing up everything shes eating and has diarrhea (yellowish greenish clay like with mucus init) they have been dewormed , but tday the other kitten shows the same symptoms what the problem could be ? ( the kittens behaviour has changed they are mostly sleeping , not interested in food , liking their mouths , lethargic )
Its either distemper - a serious (and contagious). Many do dies, as there is no good treatment; its mostly about giving as best you can supporting home treatment.

OR it is some parasite, say coccidia. This is better, because there is a treatment for this. You would need a vet to prescribe and give you Albon or some other antibioticum.

So, contact your vet, for check up, and prescription...
IF its distemper, its just to fight on and hope for the best.

In both cases:
As they have diarrhea, they need lotsa of fluids, and lotsa of salts. Pedialyte is best, bought or home made. If you buy pedialyte, this for flavorless for human babies is best.
You can begin with sprinkling a little kitchen salt into their water or their food.

Also, the glucose sugar in pedialyte helps to give them some calories... its no proper food, but they will survive on pedialyte alone some time.

Be sure they are warm - the sick ones are always freezing. Some heating pad and or IR heating lamp...

Massage them with your fingertops or a soft toothbrush.

You can give them some extra energhy by smearing a droplet of white caro syrup on their gum, inside of their lips. Do so now and then.

If you get any other idea of how to keep up their spirits, make it more comfortable, etc, do so.
Its surprising often our forumites finds their own creative solutions to problems.

Simon.1994

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its either distemper - a serious (and contagious). Many do dies, as there is no good treatment; its mostly about giving as best you can supporting home treatment.

OR it is some parasite, say coccidia. This is better, because there is a treatment for this. You would need a vet to prescribe and give you Albon or some other antibioticum.

So, contact your vet, for check up, and prescription...
IF its distemper, its just to fight on and hope for the best.

In both cases:
As they have diarrhea, they need lotsa of fluids, and lotsa of salts. Pedialyte is best, bought or home made. If you buy pedialyte, this for flavorless for human babies is best.
You can begin with sprinkling a little kitchen salt into their water or their food.

Also, the glucose sugar in pedialyte helps to give them some calories... its no proper food, but they will survive on pedialyte alone some time.

Be sure they are warm - the sick ones are always freezing. Some heating pad and or IR heating lamp...

Massage them with your fingertops or a soft toothbrush.

You can give them some extra energhy by smearing a droplet of white caro syrup on their gum, inside of their lips. Do so now and then.

If you get any other idea of how to keep up their spirits, make it more comfortable, etc, do so.
Its surprising often our forumites finds their own creative solutions to problems.
thanks for your advice stefan , i been reading alot about this symptoms and there are so many that interfere from parvo to salmonella , coccidia , roundworms , gastroenteritis !

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may have panleukopenia. The only cure is supportive care to get them through it. This means you must syringe drops of honey water or pedialyte every 1-2 hours. Try some Gerber turkey meat baby food on your finger. Get to a vet if you can.

Hydration and keeping electrolytes balanced in the body are most important.

Mouth licking indicates nausea. The vet can give anti-nausea meds. This might help their appetites return.

They may have bacterial infection and need antibiotics as well, based on the poops.

Are you able to get them to the vet?

Feline Panleukopenia Virus in Cats (Feline Distemper) | PetMD

Simon.1994 Simon.1994

Simon.1994

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They may have panleukopenia. The only cure is supportive care to get them through it. This means you must syringe drops of honey water or pedialyte every 1-2 hours. Try some Gerber turkey meat baby food on your finger. Get to a vet if you can.

Hydration and keeping electrolytes balanced in the body are most important.

Mouth licking indicates nausea. The vet can give anti-nausea meds. This might help their appetites return.

They may have bacterial infection and need antibiotics as well, based on the poops.

Are you able to get them to the vet?

Feline Panleukopenia Virus in Cats (Feline Distemper) | PetMD

Simon.1994 Simon.1994
Hey , thanks for the replay , i was just about to update you about this , my mum take them to the vet and they be got Something Called Giardia

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Metronidazole is excellent for killing both parasites and intestinal bacterial infection. It should take care of the problem.

Hopefully they will eat the kitten food. Tell your mom to keep them hydrated with kitten formula if they are not ready to eat yet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent news. Giardia may be unpleasant, but its nothing compared with distemper...

Of course, my advices about good home care stands fast. Not that its as urgent and necessary as I feared, but its still nice for them with some extra care. :)

Simon.1994

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there , thanks for your support , i finally get home and i wanted to update you about (Beauty And Kormy) yes they have a name now , they are healthy ,playful , and mostly wondering like wild cats in the woods with mom , however i managed to take some photos , thanks again for ur support !
F19BD70F-3F64-4CE7-8806-7B17600EE0BA.jpeg

Attachments