Kittens playing

Donall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there I've got a 15 year old male and a 12 year old female.

I've been letting them have playtime but the male just won't let up. Anytime the female leave the play because it's rough he just chases and doesn't let up until I have to physically separate them. This has been going on for a week or so.

Am I doing something wrong, I'm more confused.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had each cat? If they're new to each other, the playtime aggression is likely them trying to establish who is top cat.

Do the cats generally get along well otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had the male alfie since he was 8 week and tge female rue since she was 9 weeks. Its not so much they don't get along it's more that this is the whole interaction. There is no calm times with the two of them in the room.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has something happened in the past week? How were they before this? Did you mean weeks not years?

If it's weeks, this is normal. The more time they spend together, the more confident and strong the female will become. If she is not hiding and comes back to play quickly then all is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for tge delay in replying. I generally speaking allowed them to play as much as they liked now only getting involved when Alfie got a bit too much and they have gelled together great. Thanks for all the help.

And yes sorry I meant weeks not years my bad

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens always sound like they are killing each other. It is needed to teach them limits. Believe me, the female will rule the household when she gets older, it is programmed into them, they are the limit setters the manners teachers. She will get more confident and will put him in his place in a few months. He may be feeling his hormones starting to kick in too, I would schedule neutering around 5-6 months old to curb all his aggressiveness, and females can get pregnant as young as 5 months, which is really hard on them. As said above, as long as she is not hiding when she sees him and is coming back for more play, everything is normal. I would intervene too if he gets too forceful.