Kittens not bottle feeding

Katheriners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been taking care of two permature kittens, they just turned 4 weeks old today! They were both 60 grams when born... I syringe fed them for the first week, then tried switching to a bottle, but they refused to latch/suckle on any of the nipples I've bought (been trying every few days since), so I've been stuck switching to bigger and bigger syringes up until now. None of the vets I've gone to were able to help, they've been checked for illness and other issues as well, they refused to bottle feed there too.
They're still eating, peeing, pooping and growing as they should (even though they're still quite tiny). Should I just give up on trying to bottle feed them and syringe feed until week 5 for weaning?

(It's not an issue of the nipples not having a hole, I tested every single one before using and cut/enlarged the holes where needed.)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:. Welcome to TCS! I often encountered the same problem until I discovered (via TCS) about the Miracle Nipples - they are pricey but don't cause sore mouths like the other plastic nipples sometimes do. I like that the hole is already included and the design greatly reduces gas so burping is less challenging. I use the mini MN for the first few weeks then switch to the longer original MN. They fit both syringes and bottles & the volume in bottles makes for faster, easier feeding. You can consider trying them although getting not one but TWO preemies to the 1 month milestone proves you are doing a wonderful job! Congratulations! I applaud your success! 💐🎂👍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katheriners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! It's been a huge journey.. They were both fighting an eye infection on week 2 and came through as champions!
Sadly the country I'm in only has had Miracle Nipples either be delivered in 30 days or out of stock, so I've been completely out of luck with getting them... I heard about them from the Kitten Lady! Her videos and forums like this one have been absolutely essential in making me capable of helping these little guys.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know others here at TCS will benefit from your experience! Here are some links that I have found useful over the years, especially since I live in rural, eastern CA that lacks many of the resources available to Kitten Lady:
https://www.uwsheltermedicine.com/library/resources/feline-guide-to-raising-orphan-kittens

Critical Care of the Sick Neonatal Kitten

Orphaned Kitten Care How to

One of the best things about the internet is the quick access to valuable knowledge that helps others! I love the dicho that says " a trouble shared is a trouble halved; a joy shared is a joy doubled".

furbabies21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was going to mention Miracle Nipples, as well. Apparently, people have good success with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katheriners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: They're both drinking from this random grocery store baby bottle I picked up yesterday!!! It's just in time since they're now wanting more food than my largest syringe can hold! Thank you so much everyone for your support and kind messages :dancingblackcat:

Now I've got a new problem... How do I keep them inside their kitten space? They're starting to jump real high and crawl up the blanket-covered cage walls whenever they're hungry or want to see me! 😁