Kittens Need To Eat!

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, looking for some advice please. I trapped 4 semi feral kittens all last week. Poor babies were so afraid but I can now pick up 2 of them and 3 purr when petted. They still mostly hide though. I am assuming that is normal since they have only been caught for such a short time? Was just able to pick up the two today an Poor things I can feel there tail bones. They don't look terribly scrawny but do feel that way. They eat but could do a lot better. Is it normal to not eat a lot when first captured? So far they have unlimited dry kitten food and I give them wet food friskies cans in the morning and evening. Sometimes it sits for several hours before they eat. Sometimes the plates are empty and sometimes not. I also tried baby food but that was a no go. They do like the tuna in oil and gave them some of that as well. I just feel like they ate better when I was feeding them outside before trapped. Guessing they are 3 months old? Mom stopped messing with them about 2 weeks before I trapped them. What can I give them to put on some weight? This is my second experience trapping semi feral kittens. Caught Moms first batch over the summer. Thought it would be easier this time around but I am a wreck worrying about them. I'm sure I experienced similar issues with the last batch but I don't remember. I do remember it taking much longer to handle the last batch then this one. And Mom has an appointment made already for December 4th to get spayed. I will have to TNR her (she is pretty feral). Was hoping to do that after the last batch but she got pregnant again faster than I thought would happen.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are nervous yet so its normal with reduced appetite.

Give them anything they do eat, main thing for now. Be sure part of it is kitten food because it contains x.
Goats milk or kmr are useful too even if they dont need it biologically speaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are nervous yet so its normal with reduced appetite.

Give them anything they do eat, main thing for now. Be sure part of it is kitten food because it contains x.
Goats milk or kmr are useful too even if they dont need it biologically speaking.
Thank you! Anyone have some sure fire hit ideas? That they will likely eat?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of fancy feast has fish in it so maybe they would like that. When my cats were kittens I gave them wellness core,still do though expensive. I think it has more nutrients in it than ff or friskies. To really get kittens to eat add some Weruva

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: Thank you for rescuing those kittens! It sounds as if they are feeling exposed at the food dishes. Do you have a small coffee table that you could put their dishes under? Or put them behind a chair or something?
In addition to the great suggestions above, I would offer hamburger (ferals go crazy for Carls Jr aka Hardees burgers) or chicken, perhaps boiled or if that fails, go to the ferals' caretakers stand-by: KFC.
Prayers and vibes for good trapping of mama! :vibes::vibes::vibes: