Kittens Litter Training

MaryamG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
my cat had 5 kittens it’s her first litter , they now 5 weeks and they pee & pop on their bed which is under my bed, they only pop and pee ok the 1 bed .. i do take them like 10 times to litter box .. when they wake , after they eat...
What do I do to discharge them?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do they come out from under your bed to eat and drink, or do you feed them under there? Normally, kittens learn to use a litterbox by watching their mom. Are they able to see her use the litterbox? If not, I think you need to find a way to enable that. So, if they are eating underneath the bed, move the food out a bit from under the bed and allow them to be able to see the litterbox and their mom using it.
Here is a TCS article on tips for getting kittens to use the litterbox - hopefully, that will help you.
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – Cat Articles

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can get their bed out from under your bed, then block off the space so they can't get back there, that might help. Then follow the tips in the article FeebysOwner FeebysOwner posted, and hopefully they'll catch on.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seeing mom use the box is really crucial. They learn a lot by watching. Also, I've found that just placing them in the box doesn't always trigger the instinct. When you place them in there, gently take their little paws and "dig" with them. That sometimes kicks the instinct in, as well. You might also try taking some of the poop from their bed and placing it IN the litter box. Wash their bedding thoroughly or change it. That way, the scent will alert them that "this is the place!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaryamG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
They come out from under bed.. good is a good few feet away...
Momma is a bit lazy in teaching them 🙈 ...
I will keep trying ..
Thank you for your advice 🌷

MaryamG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma cat is a tad bit lazy in this 🙈 it’s up to me ...
I have washed the bedding .... a lot...closing under bed would be hard as they high o

MaryamG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on kittens.. all my 4 boys are happily using litter to pop and pee... the girl is still popping and peeing on her bed... I gave them a good wash with vinegar... yet she still messed.. so tonight I have removed them and showed her litter box....

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on kittens.. all my 4 boys are happily using litter to pop and pee... the girl is still popping and peeing on her bed... I gave them a good wash with vinegar... yet she still messed.. so tonight I have removed them and showed her litter box....
You want to clean with an enzyme based cleaner. Vinegar will not remove the urine/feces scent