Kittens keep kicking litter EVERYWHERE!?

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again all!

Quick question. I currently have two kittens both of which are now 3 months old. We have two litter boxes in our bathroom that are little cheap-os from the Dollar General (They were too small to use anything else when we first got them. Tiny babies!)

Now that they're older and bigger, I want to get them two dome covered boxes as to help them not kick litter out of their box every chance they get. They even play in it sometimes. The ones at Walmart have pretty big ones and I wanna know if maybe they'll work or not? Or if they're too big for them to use yet? Or any advice at all. And to those that will recommend like pine litter or pelleted litter: I've tried. They would rather pee on places like our bed than in that stuff and I'd rather not have to clean our bed set every few hours.

Adding pictures to reference how big they are now.

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High walled boxes work well at keeping the litter inside for the most part. Opening is low enough to get inside. Having a good litter mat on the outside works well too.

As far as playing in the litter, I have noticed that Gracie will do that if I buy a finer litter like Tidy Cat or any of the clumping litters. She acts like it is sand at the beach and will lay in it even if there is pee inside. I have to buy a more coarse litter like Fresh Step so she just uses the box for its intended purpose.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have a large , covered litterbox from Target ( it is the best ... even for our chunky cats- huge, large opening in front for scooping) with a sifting litter mat in front of it - it has helped reducing the mess . You can also put a litterbox into a huge storage tote with a littermat and cut in a door - but ... there is no way to entirely eliminate litter tracking ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank yall for the advice. I was using Tidy Cats litter and switched over to...I can't remember the name of it but MAN what a difference. Not just in litter tracking but the way it clumps and makes it easy to clean!
I got two large covered boxes from Walmart they jump in and out of just fine plus an area rug to help with any other kind of litter that might be leftover. So far so good and my life got 50% better. Now to try to teach them to leave the q-tips in the bathroom alone...