Kittens in the engine

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've been feeding a stray cat since the beginning of the year and a few months ago it definitely looked like she was pregnant. She disappeared for about a month but then resurfaced again without any kittens. However, two weeks ago I saw her with what I thought were 3 kittens which today I found out is actually 5. They look to be around 2 months or so.

She has spent all day at my house under my roommates car with her kittens. When my roomate needed to leave we thought starting the car would make them move. But actually it just made them move to her engine. We didn't see it at the time so she backed out and one of the kittens came running out of her car. So we are currently trying to get the other 3 out of the engine. The 5th cat was smart and ran under my shed. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? We put food out under the car for them but the mother cat just keeps eating it. We've banged on the car, started it, used a spray bottle and even tried poking them but nothing has worked. We really need them out of her engine since she needs to go to work in the morning.

Since this will probably be a reaccuring issue since it's starting to get cold, I'm trying to get a trap so I can take them to the shelter. The mother cat is friendly and has had at least 2 litters this kitten season that I know of so she needs to be fixed. But we need to get them out of her car first.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, if you can, you're going to have to reach in and get a hold of scruffs. Can you reach them if you get under the car and look up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We might be able to but neither of us have anything to lift the car enough to be able to do that. We might be able to borrow something tomorrow. The one kitten I got close to was very scared. It hissed and tried to scratch me. Everytime they saw me today they would run under the car.

If they are still in there in the morning, I can take her to work before I go to work but im also scared that they might try to get in my engine as well at some point.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try putting down more food, hopefully the car will get cold enough that they'll come out.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm almost positive we were able to get them out, it ended up being the wet tuna cat food that lured them out and the mother cat herself trying to get them. We went back out late that night and then again in the morning to check and we didn't see any kittens in her vehicle. We looked everywhere and counted 4 of them for sure but we've checked her car two mornings now and haven't seen anything. I have a shed by the cars so it's very possible the 5th one was hiding under there. She isn't circling the car like she was the night the kittens were in there so I'm assuming they all got out.

It's still very cold right now where I live so this will continue to be an issue until I can try and get them trapped. I got a hold of a TNR rescue and they are willing to help, at least with the trapping part. The mother cat is friendly enough to be adoptable although her kittens are still terrified of me and she is very protective of them. She stands in front of them and won't let me close. I've also noticed that the she is still pretty round and looks pregnant. Is that common for nursing mothers? She has had a couple litters this year already so I'm hoping that is just her shape right now until she stops nursing. I really hope she isn't pregnant again.

I could have easily trapped her yesterday when she ran in my porch but I would feel terrible leaving those kittens alone when they are only a couple months old. Hopefully the TNR place can help me get the kittens as well because I feel terrible seeing them all out in the cold but I have 4 cats of my own so theres no way I can take in 6 more.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Will the TNR organization take the kittens for you or will you need to house the family until you can sort this out? If the mother is friendly, the kittens have a chance at socialization, especially since they are so young. Their fear of you is normal, but might dissipate quickly if they can be worked with.

I certainly understand that you don't want 10 cats in your house, but is there any temporary arrangement? Garage, shed, portable or temporary structure with some kind of beds?

Yes, the mom could be pregnant.

It is great that the tuna worked; KFC or other greasy fried chicken is also a good bait.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I just spoke with them again today and they will give me a couple traps to catch them but they have no room for them. They don't have enough fosters for the cats they currently have in their rescue.

I have an enclosed porch and a garage port that they can stay in. They are currently staying in a box with a cat bed and some blankets in it right now in my garage but it's open so it's still very cold. I have a room in my garage that I have opened for them but they don't seem interested in that or the porch. The mother cat is fed by another house about a block away from me also. She was staying at that house most of the time but for the past couple of weeks she's constantly by my house. I've asked them about her and they just feed her and told me she's a stray. They didn't even know what happened to her kittens.

Right now, if I can't find a rescue or someone willing to foster them then I will need to take them to the humane society. At least they will be safe and warm there and I know my local shelter has fosters so maybe someone can take them in. The mother cat is a little timid but very sweet and I think she would be a great house cat with some time.

I would really love to help more but my finances are tight as is so I cannot feed and provide litter boxes/litter for 6 more cats/kittens. I'm pretty sure the last cat I took in a couple months ago might be hers as well. He's about 7 or 8 months now and was very scared and wouldn't let me touch him when he was outside. But in a few days of being inside he was laying on me and playing so I can imagine these kittens being even younger can be socialized pretty quickly.

I can't get a trap for another week at least but in the meantime do you have any suggestions on how to help the kittens become less frightened of me? The mother cat will let me pet her but she won't let me come close to the kittens and always stands in front of them. She even growls a little bit when i get too close.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I just spoke with them again today and they will give me a couple traps to catch them but they have no room for them. They don't have enough fosters for the cats they currently have in their rescue.
I would really love to help more but my finances are tight ...
Some shelters and rescue groups provide food and supplies to their foster families. You might ask if they can help you with those things. (Though they may not be able to if their finances are stretched, too.)

Are the kittens eating on their own? With the mother being so protective, you probably won't make much progress socializing the kittens until she's been separated from them.

Good luck, you are good to help these creatures!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some shelters and rescue groups provide food and supplies to their foster families. You might ask if they can help you with those things. (Though they may not be able to if their finances are stretched, too.)

Are the kittens eating on their own? With the mother being so protective, you probably won't make much progress socializing the kittens until she's been separated from them.

Good luck, you are good to help these creatures!
Yes, I think she is still nursing them but I have seen them eating the regular cat food I put out for the mother. The mother cat stands guard when they're eating too.

The Cat Socialization Continuum: A Guide to Interactions Between Cats and Humans

How to Socialize Feral Kittens<br/> — Kitten Lady

How to Socialize a Kitten

These have similar information, but with some slight variations. Can you sit near the kittens, allowing the mother to stay where she is standing guard? Just hang out around them and let her see that you can be trusted with them.
Thank you for the links. I can try to sit near them but even the couple times I've seen the kittens alone without their mother they run and hide under something when they see me. Do I just sit by the area they are hiding and see if they come out? I

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She does have filled out little sides, but I hope that I am wrong.

Yes, just try to be present with the kittens at first. You don't have to do anything different except let them get used to you.