Kittens "home" Area - Moving In/out

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
After more than a month I moved my 2 kittens on the balcony from the attic. At the attic is very dirty and was worried about their eyes being shut, don't know why they are full with yellow stuff , i have to clean it all the time.
I put them on my balcony because in home nobody allows it, not my home. Did I do the right thing? I put them in big box so they can't get out, but their mother can.
They stared mewing , the mother and the kittens. The mother wants me to move them back at the attic. What should I do? I am just worried about their cleanliness and health. The last kittens ended up with only one eye, which made me sad.
Thanks,
Regards.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kittens need to go to a vet for antibiotic eye ointment. They have an infection.

The balcony does not sound safe either. Is there a room you could keep the cats in?

Can you spay the mama after this litter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree - their problems with pus in the eyes in an infection needing antibiotica. It hasnt much to do with the dirty attic. In nature its not always very clean either...

If momma is happy with the attic, make do with the attic. And please contact a vet for eye treatment...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked one question only guys. If it was my cat in my house ofc I would do anything, but it is not. All I do is give them food and blankets, that's it. I asked according to you if I should put them back where they feel safe in the dirty attic of the house or leave them here at the balcony. That's what I am worried about, nothing else. Thanks again for the advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get a tube of terramycin ointment for their eyes? It costs about $16 online or at a tractor supply store. It will treat all of their eyes.

They do not sound happy on the balcony.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked one question only guys. If it was my cat in my house ofc I would do anything, but it is not. All I do is give them food and blankets, that's it. I asked according to you if I should put them back where they feel safe in the dirty attic of the house or leave them here at the balcony. That's what I am worried about, nothing else. Thanks again for the advice!
I understand that they are strays and that you are helping them. That's wonderful!

It may still be able to find a rescue in your area to spay her, though. That way you wouldn't have to keep helping sick babies. We're happy to help if you'd like help locating one.

Is it possible to clean up the attic a bit so they are safe there? They still do need treatment for the eyes, though.

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have chloramphenicol dexamethasone eye drops , so I hope they are ok for that kind of infection. I will give a try, will see if there is a reaction. I will keep them on the balcony in the comfy box for a few days and will see how it will progress. If they really sound unhappy I will do as you suggested, clean the attic a little put some carpet as well and blankets, and will leave them in care of their mother :) . Thank you guys really for all your help. ;)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have chloramphenicol dexamethasone eye drops , so I hope they are ok for that kind of infection. I will give a try, will see if there is a reaction. I will keep them on the balcony in the comfy box for a few days and will see how it will progress. If they really sound unhappy I will do as you suggested, clean the attic a little put some carpet as well and blankets, and will leave them in care of their mother :) . Thank you guys really for all your help. ;)
The drops might help, but they are a steroid, not an antibiotic. I don't think it will cure the infection. Where are you located? A feed store should sell teramycin cheaply over the counter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Again, that is not an antibiotic.

The kittens are adorable! Their eyes definitely need help so they do not go blind.

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my vet friend said i need Oxytetracycline . too bad the vet here doesn't sell those, i'll try in the pharmacy tomorrow , maybe they have something similar at least.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you need an antiobiotic ointment. The second drop you mentioned would help with allergies in humans. Not sure if it's safe for cats.

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
antiobiotic ointment?? not drops? hmm....how am I supposed to put the ointment in a little kitten's eyes? :D anyway, it can be any kind yes? I will go to the pharmacy and ask then.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can be drops or ointment, as long as it is an antibiotic.

Ointment is simply smeared across the eye. I hope the pharmacy has something! :)

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here they sell Chloramphenicol ointment,,,will that be ok? it is antibiotic.

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys all!! The medicine is working, their eyes are clean as a whistle :). For the "home" , I have them on my balcony in a medium box with litter. One of them fell from the balcony while playing (its on the second floor). Thank God nothing happened, I checked him with putting pressure on every part of the body - no cry, and seems perfectly normal even played today in my room. On the first floor I have an abandoned room, more like a corridor, that almost nobody goes there. I put a big box inside it, ( 1m2 ). The kittens are 1.5 months old, so I am thinking if I should move them there. It will be difficult for the mother to go inside the room, but I am sure I can make an entrance door for her, and most difficult thing, they won't be in contact with people there, am worried after they grow up will be afraid. What's your advice/opinion on this?
Thank you all!
p.s: I named them Louis (like the king of France) and Kara ( supergirl) :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad the eyes are better! :)

The balcony does not sound safe, so the inside room sounds good. As long as you spend time interacting with them they should not be afraid of people.

Are the kittens eating food now in addition to nursing?

What are your plans for them in terms of spaying, neutering, and forever homes?

plisskenzorro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad the eyes are better! :)

The balcony does not sound safe, so the inside room sounds good. As long as you spend time interacting with them they should not be afraid of people.

Are the kittens eating food now in addition to nursing?

What are your plans for them in terms of spaying, neutering, and forever homes?
Will see, maybe in a month or two to movw them down. For spaying i don.t think I will do anything. I will just let them be. If i plan to move them inside the house then I will spay them. The mother still feeds them, i give them milk ocasionally.