Kittens fur seems to be changing color

Fraser19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I am a new member here and have a question.
So first off I have a cat (Cali) and a kitten (Mina). I adopted Mina on may 8th when she was 8 weeks old. About three weeks ago she got out and when I found her she was very hurt with a brain injury and she almost didn't make it.

Now I am always watching her like a hawk, however over the last few days she seems to be getting more grey. It's like she is dusty or something.

Anyways, I am wondering if any of you have ever seen this before? Or let me know if I am just hyper sensitive to any changes in her because I am now always worried about her since her injury.

I have attached a few pictures of Mina where she seems more glossy, and one from today where she seems like she is getting more grey. And also a picture of Cali just because she's so pretty.

Hope you all are well!

Thank you,

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
They're both beautiful cats 🥰
I think that her fur is changing color to be a Dilute.

This is from a TCS article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns;
Tortoiseshell pattern in cats
A consistent mix of orange and black (or their diluted versions of cream and blue) creates this unique coat pattern. Being a mix of black and orange, this coat pattern (like the tricolor) can be seen almost exclusively in females.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree! It looks like she's going to be a dilute Tortie! A soft blue-gray, cream, and white. As much white as she has, some would call her a calico, but the blue and cream aren't distinct, they kinda blend, so I am going with tortie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fraser19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the responses.

While I figured it could not possibly be related to her injury the timing of it made me wonder. I know it sounds crazy to think an injury would cause her fur the change color but I am always worried about my cat since I got her back from the vet after.

Thanks!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persomally, I think it is more likely what is called a fever coat. It won't hurt your baby and if it is fever coat is temporary. The kitten photo I attached is an example of fever coat. The adult photo is the same cat.

Attachments