Kittens Eating, Getting Diarrhea

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A stray/feral cat I rescued in our back yard had her second litter 5 weeks ago on our enclosed porch. I started feeding the kittens some kitten food a few days ago and have noticed they will even go to mommy’s dish and start eating her wet/dry food. There are six kittens and I’ve noticed most of them are having loose stools and are also going outside of the litter box...how much food should a 5 week old kitten eat at once and how often? What could be causing the diarrhea? Should I stop feeding them for a few days? Need help, please

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't uncommon for kittens, especially outdoors, to have works or parasites that would cause diarrhea. You don't want to stop feeding them because they need the calories and nutrition. If possible, they should see a vet to get dewormed and checked over. Often times clinics will do inexpensive deworming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
FYI. In advance of any remarks about getting mommy cat spayed, yes, as soon as the kittens are weaned she is getting spayed. I brought her and first litter inside in May (she hasn’t been or will be outside again) unfortunately she was pregnant when I brought her inside and I didn’t know it.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It isn't uncommon for kittens, especially outdoors, to have works or parasites that would cause diarrhea. You don't want to stop feeding them because they need the calories and nutrition. If possible, they should see a vet to get dewormed and checked over. Often times clinics will do inexpensive deworming.
This litter was born inside, mother cats first litter were born outside but didn’t have any problems when they started eating etc. at this time I can’t afford to bring all six to a vet and I’m not aware of any clinic locally....

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can get dewormers at most pet stores as well. You just want to check around for reviews and be extra careful with the dosing. If that doesn't help you do need to see a vet as it would be something more serious then worms. There are other parasites and infections that can also cause diarrhea. Diarrhea is a serious problem for kittens as they can get dehydrated easily.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF the diarrhea gets worse, you will need pedialyte, ie give extra salts.
How to do it, we will talk later.
Essentially may be ricewater from heavily overboilded rice, and add some salt so it tastes barely salty...

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if the kitten food could be causing the diarrhea. Today I tried to feed each one separate and not let them eat as much all at once. I’m also feeding the mother cat separately

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has mom ever been dewormed?
No, sorry to say the mother cat hasn’t been dewormed yet. This is her second litter, the first litter are now 5 months old. They began their series of shots and deworming starting at 8 weeks. They were fine before the deworming (never had diarrhea)
The mother cat had been part feral/stray and had the first litter outside. I was able to bring her and babies inside when they were 5 weeks old. She had gotten pregnant when I brought them inside and I didn’t know it. So these kittens were born on our porch (have never been outside, neither has the mother since)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, so the mother has likely passed worms on to the kittens. That's ok, it just means they will all need to be dewormed. I would be willing to bet the loose stools are from parasites, not the food. They need to be able to eat as much as they want.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, so the mother has likely passed worms on to the kittens. That's ok, it just means they will all need to be dewormed. I would be willing to bet the loose stools are from parasites, not the food. They need to be able to eat as much as they want.
Thank you for responding. I called the vet I have for my other cats and she said they start deworming kittens as early as 2 weeks. But I can’t afford taking six kittens to them. There is a clinic that will be nearby tomorrow and I plan on bringing the six to be dewormed. It’s a lot cheaper....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worms from momma are prob roundworms. Pyrantel takes them out. Its a mild and pretty safe preparate, possible to get otc.

But if you can get help from a cheap clinic is surely the best.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took the six kittens to the clinic and was thrilled when they told me they would deworm all of them and only charged me $20 because there were so many of them. I’m noticing it doesn’t seem like they all have diarrhea but there’s one or two that still have it and keep going outside the litter boxes. I guess I’ll have to sit with them to try and see which kitten(s) are doing it.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since the kittens were dewormed they have all been using the litter boxes. Thank goodness