Kittens Climing on Screens

kittycatlover24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two month old Jasmine started climbing onmy screens, the back of my furniture, and my curtians. I've been trying to get her to stop by saying no and then putting her down on the floor, so she knows that this isn't allowed. Does anyone else have any other ideas on how I can keep her clawing up my furniture and screens.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clip her nails. If they're blunted, she won't be able to get as good a grip. It probably won't stop it, but should reduce it at least somewhat.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 14 3/4 lb boy Dexter, kept climbing up my balcony's sliding screen door & tearing holes in it. I re-screened it with "cat screen" that I bought at Home Depo.

It is an inexpensive, strong, teflon coated screen. It has not ripped in the 2 years since I re-screened it. The teflon screen fits into regular screen frames. Just tell the sales person what you need & ask how to install it.
I did it myself & if I can do it ... anyone can.

Lei

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey that's great to know! My hubby is constantly replacing all the screens in our house...and grumbles all the time about it! He's going to be happy about this!!!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that your husband will be pleased with the cat screen material. I am still amazed that Dexter does not rip it when he climbs the screen.
A little side note...your siggy picture is adorable & your quote is inspiring.

Lei

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
squirt gun. Spray them when you see them doing something wrong. They will get the idea very quickly.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Buffy and Willow were horrible to the screens, so dad finally got a tougher kind (not sure what it is, exactly, but it's definitely harder than the flimsy screen that's usually in windows). They got through it, though they had to work harder. Dad recently replaced the screen with the same material, and this time the cats are leaving it alone. I guess they just don't think it's worth it, because it takes too long to get through it (it took 3 days the last time, lol). So now they're happy to just sit there and look out, and we're happy we can leave the window open 24/7 now, lol

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I installed that kitty screening from Home Depot too, and that stuff is AWESOME!!!!!!!

It kept my Spikey from getting the window screens all clawed up and he'd hang off the screening on our kitchen screen door too! He weighed 18 pounds and you cannot even tell he used to do that!
Now my Katy Kitty is following in her "Uncle Spike's" footsteps and that screen is holding up just great!!

P.S. I clip her nails EVERY week, so she will get used to me doing this. If you don't, they will give you a big fight, every time!!!