Kittens being nursed by both mother and granddaughter! Is this normal?

Shudson1211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 female cats one who is the mother of the other. The daughter (Biscuit) just had a litter of 5 kittens. The mother miscarried 3 kittens at 10 weeks just a week apart from get daughter delivering the 5. Before any negative comments, they are both scheduled for spaying next week, We've had a hard time getting on anyone schedule due to the pandemic and waiting lists are ridiculous. Finally decided to travel a good distance to get them spayed which is fine but the issue at hand now is im worried for the kits health. Biscuit has done fantastic since giving birth 6 days ago, She was being very clingy to me and didn't want me to leave her alone, now she has started moving the kittens, I know this is normal, but when she does, she runs back to me and constantly meows, if I get up she suggests I follow her so I do and she takes me straight to her kits lays down and starts nursing, but as soon as I walk away she gets up follows me and starts the meowing process over again. I thought maybe introducing biscuit's mother into the mix might help in some way, and for a short while it did.... they both got into the box and were nursing and cleaning together sharing the kitten workload. I thought it was pretty amazing and happy that Biscuit was content. However now she has moved them once again and will not leave my side, follows me everywhere, meowing continuously.... I'm at a loss for what I should do to make everyone happy again. Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!!

- Crazy loving cat mama!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do NOT get the nursing mother spayed next week! That must wait until this litter weans, which is around 8 weeks. Biscuit’s mom can be spayed unless she is also nursing her daughter’s kittens.

It’s not unusual for new nursing mom cats to be clingy. She wants you to praise her and sit with her while she nurses. Her hormones are in high gear right now, but she should settle down more soon and need you less. Also, is she getting enough to eat? She needs unlimited food while nursing.

Put Biscuit and her litter in a quiet, private place - maybe a corner or closet with door ajar in your bedroom. This may help her to relax and stop moving her kittens. Are the kittens nursing well? If the behavior continues, you may need to close Biscuit in a room with her kittens with food, water, and litter for a couple of weeks.

Do keep both cats 100% inside and away from intact males though until they are spayed.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If spaying next week is your only option in a desperate situation, its probably doable. With any luck, they will continue to be able to nurse and give milk.
Especielly here where you have two useful moms.
But its certainly not the optimal! Such early spaying on nursing moms is done only when in dire need.

To be completely quarded up, take home some goats milk or a good kmr, and a couple of needleless syringe, so you can handfeed them kittens if necessary.
The advantage with goats milk is, if kittens dont need it, you can drink it up yourself. :)

ps. yes, its quite normal two females whom are friends, do help each other in such situations. Its usually sisters, but may be momma and dau.
Why, it may be a male cat too in the fry, helping out with the caretaking.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The co-mothers are adorable together! It is a very good blessing to have a backup mama kitty. Being a first-timer, Biscuit probably doesn't have as much confidence but has tons of love for her kittens so she trusts you to be guardian of them all - what an honor! She may prefer a more cavelike setting for her little crew - you can cut a hole or two in a family-size box and put the nest in there. With her babies hidden, she might feel more relaxed.
For added nutrition, you can offer goat's milk and/or kmr to the moms. My vet is an old-fashioned country vet serving a low-income area so she recommends adding a raw egg yolk (carefully rinse off any raw egg white) to goat's milk.
How about the kittens' daddy? He definitely needs to be neutered - maybe you can get help with that from a TNR group.
Please keep us posted & thank you for the lovely family photo - BEAUTIFUL kitties :loveeyes: