Kittens are just over a month old and being fed wet food

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone I got another quick update for you and a few questions!

As some of you may know, I recently purchased a cat off Kijiji (yes yes I know there are better ways of getting cats but if you followed my story I practically saved the litter and mother cat from a mediocre care)

The seller told me she started feeding the kittens wet food (I got it for her along with dry food because I was mortified when I found out about mother cat's diet):
1613007233098.png

She said she gave all 5 kittens one of these cans and they ate half of it and the other half went to mother cat. I asked if they are still nursing and she said the mother cat is still feeding them her milk but she decided to try and see if they will eat some of this wet food and they liked it.

Is that okay? When should they be introduced to wet/dry food and how much of it? I know ideally they should be on their mother's milk diet until 8 weeks old. They were born December 27th or December 28th (I need to check to be sure as she gave me 2 dates on two separate occasions).

She is a sweet girl who really cares for her cat and the kittens but needs direction so I am doing all the research and then teaching it to her. I love that she stopped feeding her cat Whiskas and Friskies (at least I hope she did considering that's what she said) and she also expressed so much happiness/gratitude when I got her the Dry/Wet food and said she will get more of the Wet food and possibly dry food herself now that she knows how much better it is for her cat let alone how much her cat loved it. I hope she really is doing that, as I know it wasn't cheap cause it cost me $71.72 to get that for her as I wanted my kitten to be healthy when I pick it up and also take care of her cat's recovery from birth as well as make sure the littermates are healthy too!

Please give me some tips so I will know what to tell her!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my cats were kittens they were on wet 3-4x a day. I followed the directions on the can. 2 5.5 oz cans for a kitten. I know math is involved but I do not rember the specifics so I follow whats written. More or less depending on weight. Healthy 7,8,9 pds. Adult cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
5 weeks old is when to start feeding them canned or wet
Maybe if your friend sees this sight she will understand why friskies and whisker are not good foods
Catfooddb.com

besides food only online I feed them fancy feast classics and Sheba roasted chicken or turkey. No fish. Sometimes it's hidden in the ingredients so always check

One very useful thread on here is the cat food deals forum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since my cats were kittens they were on wet 3-4x a day. I followed the directions on the can. 2 5.5 oz cans for a kitten. I know math is involved but I do not rember the specifics so I follow whats written. More or less depending on weight. Healthy 7,8,9 pds. Adult cats.
You said since they were kittens but didn't say how many weeks.

So you're saying my 5 week old kitten should get two of these a day? Portion it to 3-4 meals. As you see, one can is 5.8 Oz. Similar to the ones you were mentioning:

1613067723509.png

5 weeks old is when to start feeding them canned or wet
Maybe if your friend sees this sight she will understand why friskies and whisker are not good foods
Catfooddb.com

besides food only online I feed them fancy feast classics and Sheba roasted chicken or turkey. No fish. Sometimes it's hidden in the ingredients so always check

One very useful thread on here is the cat food deals forum
Thanks for the link! Yeah according to her texts and when I saw her in person, she says she doesn't feed them that food she had before I met her and only uses the new stuff and got more of the wet food I got since it runs out quicker. Hopefully it's the truth. I can see she cares but people don't always have the $$$.

Sounds like your cats eat better than some people I know lol. Yeah I like to spoil pets as well.

Check out the wet food I posted. How many of those cans should a 5 week old kitten eat a day IN ADDITION to his mother's milk?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am unfamiliar with. Mothers milk so someone more knowledgeable about that will respond. When my cats were 5 weeks I gave them as much as they wanted. Some ate more than others

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good age to start solids. They should eat as much as they want to eat. It's like a 6-month-old human baby---they should start on solids at that age, but they get their nutrients from mother's milk/formula, so it doesn't matter how much they eat, they're just getting used to it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Watching 6 kittens and their mother over the course of their first two-three months, the kittens saw mama eating canned food, so they wanted to try too - probably around the 4 week mark! For several weeks, they continued to nurse AND eat the canned food. Those kittens were eating 'all stages' canned food along with their mama, under the care of a foster, so I am sure the foods weren't perfect. They are all fine and have all been adopted, including the mom.