Kittens Are Coming! I’m A Nervous Wreck!

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl Paisley is due to have kittens anytime. This is the first time I’ve dealt with a kitten delivery since I was a kid. I’ve always been great about getting my animals spayed/neutered up front but now this happened! Paisley came to us about 3 months ago.. just showed up on our doorstep. She must have been outside a lot before because every time my kids would open the front door, she would dart out. I had already made her spay appointment for mid-March before I noticed that her nipples were pink and not long after her belly was growing round. FYI she will be spayed ASAP. I’m so worried because the vet estimates her to be around a year old and she is a small girl! I hate that they’re able to have babies so young. So, I’m stressed about her delivery and putting her through this, stressed about stillborns or birth defects and stressed about finding good homes because I will end up keeping them all if I can’t find them really good people, ha. I do know to keep calm around her, and be with her if she’ll allow me, in a dark quiet space. I don’t want to transfer my anxiety to her!! I have educated myself a lot with google reads and articles although I hope in not so anxious in the moment that all that goes out the window. I just took her temperature and it’s dropped to 99.4, she is still eating although she’s not cleaning her plate like normal, kittens are moving like crazy, she has had colostrum for 2 days now. I haven’t really noticed her nesting but I do have her confined to one room so that she can’t slip out and I’ve made several “nests” for her to choose from. She has been breathing fast for days but she’s still resting well. She does get up to move somewhere else to change positions about every 15 minutes. Also, I have a delivery kit ready with dental floss, sterilized scissors, iodine, thermometer, alcohol, paper towels and plenty of clean towels and wash cloths. I know most mamas have the instinct and take care of everything themselves, but I’ve been so worried I figured I needed to be prepared just in case! I also have that fear of her being anxious and spinning in circles with a baby hanging from its cord or her not taking good care of them. I have been praying a lot and would appreciate if you could say a little prayer for Paisley as well. I decided to make a thread, hoping that the right person will come along to guide me in whatever may pop up. If anyone had any tips for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You sound very well prepared! I was prepared, and needed none of it with the pregnant stray I took in 3 years ago.

It’s normal to be anxious, but you do want to try to stay calm around her so you can comfort her. Cats do usually manage well on their own, and their instincts kick in pretty quickly.

Could she be in labor? Are you seeing contractions, which look like ripples in her sides?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be so relieved when all goes well!

I am not sure.. she isn’t restless or vocal. I am seeing occasional lumps harden. Looks to be the kittens? I was expecting contractions to tighten the whole belly area.

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also her vulva looks a tad pink and maybe a little larger.. not much. But when I noticed it I also noticed her behind looked a little larger, almost opened a bit.

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarthur2! I haven’t seen any progression as Paisley is still lying around.. she moves often but is still resting decently. I do have a question though. I noticed a tiny bit of discharge about an hour ago from her vulva. I sent the pic to my sister and she said it looked like pus bc it’s yellow. The first pic is the flash off and it looks more whitish. The second is with flash and it does look yellow in color. Shortly after it dried up (third pic) and nothing has come out since. Please let me know if this is a cause for concern. Thank you!

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0AC22F60-1523-4374-8442-38CAFFEB06B6.jpeg
Although I know she’s not in labor yet, here is a pic of her side that hardens up. Can you see the round shape where the light hits? You can’t see it as good in the photo. I feel like it’s a kitten as it will be moving first and then the whole bal gets hard for about 30 seconds. Is this just kitten movement or maybe a Braxton-hicks?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s losing her mucus plug. The movement sounds like early stage one labor. She will probably have her kittens in the next 24 hours.

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh, nothing. Guess it wasn’t her plug. Makes me wonder what it was though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could still have been her plug. It can be lost up to a week before.

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
D1237B7A-D405-47CB-997F-83C5A14BC5C4.jpeg
Don’t know if this is anything but I’ve spent so much time with her that I’m noticing everything different. Looks to me like she’s holding her tail up. I’ve noticed it a few different times tonight. This is her smaller box that I got at first but realized she may need bigger and she’s choosing this one. Not sure if it’s such a tight squeeze that her tail is wedged up there or if she’s actually holding it up.

Also, just starting today, she’s been laying on any shoe she finds on the floor.. so I put my flat in her box. I think it’s adorable !!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is very pretty. My cat had hers in the smallest box, so I moved her and the kittens to a bigger box after a couple of days. It feels like forever, but sounds like you are close. Biscuit, my cat only showed interest in the box she gave birth in on the day of the birth. All the best to Paisley and you.

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is very pretty. My cat had hers in the smallest box, so I moved her and the kittens to a bigger box after a couple of days. It feels like forever, but sounds like you are close. Biscuit, my cat only showed interest in the box she gave birth in on the day of the birth. All the best to Paisley and you.
Thank you so much! It’ll be interesting which one she chooses to deliver in!

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
F5850655-642D-425B-B104-4ED2ACC6299B.jpeg 18D65378-8FCA-434D-90D0-DCDDFE6612F8.jpeg Just noticed more dried up gunk on her lady parts. Does this too look normal?

lindslopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again these pics are flash on, flash off.