Kittens are a week old

starblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The babies are a week old today. I love watching the momma take care of them. They are getting so big so fast. The middle ones eyes are starting to open. Hopefully the others will follow soon. At what stage do the eyes open? How do I tell what the sex of the kittens are? So many new questions to ask I don't know where to start. Just wanted to let you all know everything is going great.

Shannon

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Shannon,
This is kind of late for a reply and by now the kittens should all have their eyes open. This begins to happen at 7 - 9 days and is usually completed in the litter by 2 weeks. As for the sex, it may be difficult for a novice to tell (experienced breeders have similar problems VBG) but the females will have their vaginal opening appearing as a slit directly beneath the anus. In a male the scrotum will be beneath the anus and then the opening for the penis directly below that. In older kittens the scrotum will appear to be more of a bulge making sexing easier.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL we know what to look for and this last litter took us 3 months to finally put a sex down on paper

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
LOL we know what to look for and this last litter took us 3 months to finally put a sex down on paper
Too bad there isn't a box to check off marked "undecided"! VBG Like I said, kittens can be difficult even for the experienced. Pete