Kittens And Weight

RescueNan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a Mama cat who gave birth to 5 males 6 weeks ago. The kittens have steadily gained weight since birth but over the last 2 weeks (4-6 weeks old) their weight has almost remained the same. They are in the process of weaning and eat canned food in the morning and dry kitten chow throughout the day. As they are about to be adopted out at 8 weeks I want to make sure they are healthy. All 5 and mom will be fixed in a few weeks. I'm going to start putting mom in a large carrier and feed her am food there to make sure she isnt eating theirs. Any other suggestions? They all live in a 5 ft round pen and my female cat does not like them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do they weigh? I think sometimes, if they gained a lot of weight in their first weeks, they tend to plateau a bit when they get older. Just to even things out. So if they were roly-poly little babies that might be the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RescueNan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They weigh from 1.12 to 1.143

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 6 weeks they should ideally weigh a pound and a half; two pounds at 8 weeks, and 3 pounds at 3 months.

They should gain about a pound a month for the first 6 months. Males tend to be heavier than females.

I suggest you feed them wet food 3 times a day, with access to kitten chow and water 24/7. It sounds like they could use it, and mom too if she is still nursing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are a little small :/. Try those suggestions, and if they don't start gaining a vet visit is called for.