kittens and teeth

ladynight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got a tom kitten now about 5 months of age. Noticed he has double set of cannines. Is he just growing his adult teeth or what? When do kittens start getting adult teeth. I am estimating his age. He was a small kitten about 8 weeks old I thought when I found him on side of road. Yes I stop and pick up abandoned kittens. But he could have been underfed. He certainly isnt little now an looks to be a big Tom when grown. Bigger than my other cat already but she is a small breed I think. I am having him neutered and vet said I had to wait til he was 6 months. So growing adult teeth might be a way of gettin a better idea of age. If thats what he is doing?

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Sounds like your kitties permanent teeth are coming in. Nothing to worry about. Good for you - taking in stray cats.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, teeth are usually the way they estimate the age. It sounds like his adult teeth really are coming in. They usually loose the baby teeth between 4 and 6 months. Now days, most vets are neutering males at 4 months. I had my persian done for breeding reasons, but my females I wait until they are 6 months. Just watch out, cuz it really hurts if you happen to step on the teeth that fall out..