Kittens and Mama cat, missing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you... I have followed her to where I can and she is super smart... stops and rests, goes in one direction then the other until she makes sure I am not around... will put some tuna out today and see what happens... will keep you posted...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you... I have followed her to where I can and she is super smart... stops and rests, goes in one direction then the other until she makes sure I am not around... will put some tuna out today and see what happens... will keep you posted...

He actions tell me that kittens are nearby and doing well. Yes, tuna is good because kittens don't develop their full sense of smell until later, so a strong source of smell like tuna should attract them.
Thank you. Keep my fingers crossed.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THank you , I tried the tuna, to no avail. The mother comes to eat 2 to 3 times a day, and every time she leaves she goes in a different direction. Smart... hope they show up. Really got attached to them, especially the one in my profile picture. Dont know what to do but wait, I guess. I talk out loud the words I told them during 10 day. I love you, like many times... and Yummy time when it was time to eat... we shall see... its a mystery... thoughts? thanks

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
THank you , I tried the tuna, to no avail. The mother comes to eat 2 to 3 times a day, and every time she leaves she goes in a different direction. Smart... hope they show up. Really got attached to them, especially the one in my profile picture. Dont know what to do but wait, I guess. I talk out loud the words I told them during 10 day. I love you, like many times... and Yummy time when it was time to eat... we shall see... its a mystery... thoughts? thanks

Yes, here are my thoughts: they are not gone. Mom's smart and knows what you're up to, she's got you zigzagging everywhere. :) You will see them again when she tires of them. And frankly, I think they're coming more than you know.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Update... I realized that the tuna attracted an oppossum that now comes in at night. I also just saw this gorgeous bob cat show up to eat the food I have out on the porch. I KNOW the Bob cat is the Cause for her leaving. I have seen her fight with this cat before they showed and several times after. Even when I had them on the porch the cat showed up and I shooed it away. So know I dont feel she is going to bring the kitties in thsi for them "Dangerous zone." She still comes rarely... thoughts? thanks so much for this support...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Update... I realized that the tuna attracted an oppossum that now comes in at night. I also just saw this gorgeous bob cat show up to eat the food I have out on the porch. I KNOW the Bob cat is the Cause for her leaving. I have seen her fight with this cat before they showed and several times after. Even when I had them on the porch the cat showed up and I shooed it away. So know I dont feel she is going to bring the kitties in thsi for them "Dangerous zone." She still comes rarely... thoughts? thanks so much for this support...

Oh god, I would say get the authorities to trap the bobcat but I am afraid that they will euthanize him because bobcats are not protected. Now if he was a cougar he would be protected, but then you would have a whole set of other issues there. Bobcats are normally very shy cats who shun confrontation, so I am surprise he is fighting with her.

I am wondering if you could start to alter her dinner time, a little bit at a time.

If this is the case then we now know why the kittens are not coming, she is protecting them. If you trap the opossum then just relocate him to a rural area ten miles away so you don't keep trapping him. I did that with a raccoon that I kept catching. I finally took him down to a nice country park area 30 miles south of me. I let him go just as a police car came behind me. I explained the situation and he informed me that I just released that raccoon in the Sheriff's front yard.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing. Funny about the racoon. Sounds like the woods heard about free food on my porch. I just shut the door at nights make sure there is food out there during the day. Don't know if that is helpful for I see untouched food. No news from the kitties at all. I have decided to let it go for now. Will keep you all updated, as of now dont know what else to do? thanks for your support...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing. Funny about the racoon. Sounds like the woods heard about free food on my porch. I just shut the door at nights make sure there is food out there during the day. Don't know if that is helpful for I see untouched food. No news from the kitties at all. I have decided to let it go for now. Will keep you all updated, as of now dont know what else to do? thanks for your support...
If you alter it too much it will throw the kittens off, cats are such creatures of habit. I altered mine over at hoods by a half hour or forty-five minute or so.

Have you called animal control to see if someone has trapped them?

Yes please let us know.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mother is just here withone of them, what do I do? I dont want to trap these 2 and the others?

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its the one I like, not sure what to do?

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a nice evening with momma cat and playing with the kitten, in a moment I flickered they were gone... I thought if the other 3 are alone, dont' want them to be without their mother. I feel if other 3 are no longer with them.... the day they all disappeared that afternoon only the mother and this one were here, the other 3 had gone out hours before. Later the next day is when they all were gone. Now only the mother and this same one came. I am wondering if the other 3 are no longer with them, if so, I would make a capture plan? thoughts? thanks so much for your patience

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a nice evening with momma cat and playing with the kitten, in a moment I flickered they were gone... I thought if the other 3 are alone, dont' want them to be without their mother. I feel if other 3 are no longer with them.... the day they all disappeared that afternoon only the mother and this one were here, the other 3 had gone out hours before. Later the next day is when they all were gone. Now only the mother and this same one came. I am wondering if the other 3 are no longer with them, if so, I would make a capture plan? thoughts? thanks so much for your patience
You're right, you shouldn't separate the mom from the others. Some kittens are more shy than other ones so its possible they eat when you are not there. This kitten sounds like he was the friendliest of the litter. Can you pick him up? Will mom allow you to pet her?

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kindness, they never came back, and the kitties dont eat from here, last night the oppssum came again,I see the difference in the plates, because the opposum pigs up, while the cat cant reach corners of the dish, lol... Im feeling at a loss, because I feel all other 3 kitties are no longer with her, she remained with that one kittie here all afternoon to the evening then under the porch and I also saw she was nursing it still. Wondering? because if so, if it happens again, I will shut the door with the momma cat and kittie, and find way to take care of them. you seem so knowledable, then what to do or think? its a mystery.... stilll.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kindness, they never came back, and the kitties dont eat from here, last night the oppssum came again,I see the difference in the plates, because the opposum pigs up, while the cat cant reach corners of the dish, lol... Im feeling at a loss, because I feel all other 3 kitties are no longer with her, she remained with that one kittie here all afternoon to the evening then under the porch and I also saw she was nursing it still. Wondering? because if so, if it happens again, I will shut the door with the momma cat and kittie, and find way to take care of them. you seem so knowledable, then what to do or think? its a mystery.... stilll.
About how old are these kittens?Is he around six weeks or 12 weeks? Are you in a better place, physically, where you can follow her? Do you have traps you can put out?

Now the mother cat over at Hoods would not wean her kittens until they were 14-15 weeks old. For the first litter I waited until they were weaned and she left them on their own and then I set traps. For the second litter I set traps out when they were 9-10 weeks old. I trapped them but it was emotionally harder this time because she would go around calling for them. By the time the third litter came around Hoods started major renovations to their parking lots and the noise scared the mother cat and her two kittens away. Only one had been caught from that litter.

As you can see I watched and assessed each litter.
I still think that there are other kittens out there. How old do you think the kittens are now? Do you have a camera that can catch what comes and goes at night? Do you have any traps? Animal control will lend you theirs if you do not. Mom cat and baby will be back. She knows there is food there and she is grooming him to know that too. I would see about closing the door and maybe setting out traps for the rest of them. Do you know what direction they come from?

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kindness. Dont know how old they are now. Kittens have not come, yet she still comes. I finally spoke to my neighbor. Apparently she watched for them initially. Then she said they disappeared, which is when they came to me. She says she also has food out for them. Yet only them mother comes. She came yesterday and I was able to pet her ear, she is letting my closer, no kittens.

Yesterday I freaked out, because I also have new born Owls in my back garden. They were really babies (2 of them) about 2 months ago learning how to hunt. they are bigger now and one of them caught something near a storage home, I took tons of photos and a video and saw it was eating something large, thought it was a rat, then as I looked at the photos one photo was a paw. I really got scared then noticed in the photos it was a Weasel, it had caught a weasel killed it and was eating the whole think. Scary!!! so glad it was a weasel. That is wild life... so am praying for the kittens to show and close the porch. I cant follow her because she takes different routes into the woods. I told my neigbhour we should join efforts and will do so when the cat, kittens show up. If I close the door and keep her, the mother inside. Do you think the kittens can come and find her? What to do? I will try to call animal control tomorrow as well... THanks so much I am attaching a file of the size of the kitten and its mother.

Attachments

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
owls really scared me and dont want the kittens to be caught although kittens are larger now... praying!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that kitten is about eight weeks old, maybe a week older. He/she is adorable. :)
If your neighbor is putting food out then they are probably going there as well, which might be the reason you both are missing them. The more they have to depend on just one source of food, the more they are likely to be seen. If your neighbor stops putting out food they will come to you. When I caught kittens over at Hoods I would politely asked people if they would stop feeding them for a few days so that I could catch them. Nobody had a problem with that. You want to make them come to you.

The owls scare me too . Kittens are not their normal prey, but they still can attack one. They hunt at night. You might want to see if wildlife can relocate those two.
Yes, see if you can borrow a trap from animal control. Its time.
I am rooting for you, mom cat and the little ones. :)

Last edited:

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a person who had a owls nest in my yard when I was a child my cat had kittens and I will never forget this day ever in my life it was dark I came outside to pet the kittens they were like 4 or 3 months old I was just sitting there my wiener dog started barking and I looked over at him and out of no where a owl snatched my kitten from my hands and took off with it adult owls are huge and will eat kittens with out a doubt it is likely that there is your culprit of why you only seen one kitten so when you see them both trap them and get them safe because that owl will eat that kitten still it’s not big enough to not be it’s prey or bobcats prey as well nature gotta eat and they don’t discriminate hoping for a update soon