Kittens and Mama cat, missing

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I have been taking care of a Mother cat with her 4 kittens that showed up on my porch about 10 days ago... from the woods, really cute. So I have fed them, and played with them, the mother seems to trusts although she still hisses at me sometimes. yesterday they did not come for dinner and This morning I refilled the 5 plates and they did not show up, except the mother came around noon, ate it all and left. Has not showed up since. I could not follow her due to a foot sprain. what to do? should I just wait? and hope they will come back? I am trying not to worry , but I do... opposums, coyotes, another wild cat around, etc. would appreciate some advise... thank you... the kittens were getting used to playing with me and let me pet them. one I even tickled... am planning to care for them and find good homes. I am keeping one... thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy, like you said, they may have been prey for animals, or a kind-hearted good Samaritan may have collected them and taken them to a shelter. Or mom may have them hidden.

All you can do is wait. If she brings them back, you’ll need to take them into your home — mom too, so they are safe. If they never come back, but mom does, please at least get her spayed.

:vibes: Let’s hope for the best, and keep us posted.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that there was a predator or something else that scared the mama so she hid them away for a few days, until she's sure the danger has passed. At this age they can still get by on her milk. Let's hope they're ok!

I agree that you should bring them inside right away if they come back. It's dangerous out there.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know roughly how old the kittens are? In my experience, feral cats tend to take their kittens out at about 16 weeks and leave them to fend for themselves. Cats are not pack animals, and as a feral it is likely mumma is either pregnant again or trying to find a mate. Therefore if the kittens are old enough, she may see it is time for them to go off on their own, or the kittens themselves wandered off. Hopefully nothing has happened to them though, and perhaps she is just hiding them for the time being. Best of luck!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think the odds of her losing all four kittens to a predator are slim to none.
I had a mother cat pull that on me one time: for a few times she allowed her kittens to eat the food I put out for them, but later on she made them hide in the shadows while she ate.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know roughly how old the kittens are? In my experience, feral cats tend to take their kittens out at about 16 weeks and leave them to fend for themselves. Cats are not pack animals, and as a feral it is likely mumma is either pregnant again or trying to find a mate. Therefore if the kittens are old enough, she may see it is time for them to go off on their own, or the kittens themselves wandered off. Hopefully nothing has happened to them though, and perhaps she is just hiding them for the time being. Best of luck!
Thank you, it looks like the kittens are 6 to 7 weeks old, were still nursing on her every day, even right by me. She gained trust. Two days ago I played with one closely and then they wondered off. She comes to eat. She was just here now, she goes under the porch,or wonders to in front of the house.... I cant follow her do to a foot sprain... go figure... thoughts? thanks again

Attachments

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it looks like the kittens are 6 to 7 weeks old, were still nursing on her every day, even right by me. She gained trust. Two days ago I played with one closely and then they wondered off. She comes to eat. She was just here now, she goes under the porch,or wonders to in front of the house.... I cant follow her do to a foot sprain... go figure... the kittens are completely gone, althought this afternoon I seemed to hear one... dont know what to do? If I catch the mother, then the kittens will be forever lost, thoughts? thanks again

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I don't think she's ditched them at that age. I think the others may be right - she is possibly hiding them close by. Very cute though, and such unique markings!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture... my profile picture is one of the kitties... thanks

Wow- is that mom, the Siamese looking one? She's quite a beauty. I think they are close by, especially since they are all still such a young age.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I don't think she's ditched them at that age. I think the others may be right - she is possibly hiding them close by. Very cute though, and such unique markings!
yes... thank you.... will keep hopes high... they got so close to me... wonder what happened??? was not planning on adopting but the grey on on my profile has my heart.... we'll see... fingers crossed... I appreciate the support

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
yes... thank you.... will keep hopes high... they got so close to me... wonder what happened??? was not planning on adopting but the grey on on my profile has my heart.... we'll see... fingers crossed... I appreciate the support

See what happens if you step away, go back into your house and just watch.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi EVeryone... the mother has been coming to eat twice a day. I left food out last night... and spread baking soda to see foot prints and see if the kitties are coming in at night. Not enough baking soda... I try to follow her, up to where I can... she is very smart. What to do? If I catch her babies will be lost... thanks

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi EVeryone... the mother has been coming to eat twice a day. I left food out last night... and spread baking soda to see foot prints and see if the kitties are coming in at night. Not enough baking soda... I try to follow her, up to where I can... she is very smart. What to do? If I catch her babies will be lost... thanks
I would not catch her just yet because the kittens are still nursing and also because they don't know where to go for food just yet. Do you have more than one trap? Can you set it out 'after' she leaves for the night? That is how I got my one litter, I had to wait until mom went about her errands.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it just aches me to know the kitties are out there in the wild hiding, instead of in a safe comfortable place, I feel I shouldve sealed my porch and kept them all there from the very beginning... what a mistake I made... thanks again everyone....

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it just aches me to know the kitties are out there in the wild hiding, instead of in a safe comfortable place, I feel I shouldve sealed my porch and kept them all there from the very beginning... what a mistake I made... thanks again everyone....
Hindsight is always 20/20. We do the best we can.
I would still see about setting the trap after mom is finished for the night. Her kittens are at the age where she feels confident enough to leave them for short periods of time. Put out some tuna and see which little nose turns up. There's always a greedy one in every litter. :)
Please let us know, we do care.

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hindsight is always 20/20. We do the best we can.
I would still see about setting the trap after mom is finished for the night. Her kittens are at the age where she feels confident enough to leave them for short periods of time. Put out some tuna and see which little nose turns up. There's always a greedy one in every litter. :)
Please let us know, we do care.
Thanks, she used to leave them with me a couple hours or more, dont understand what happened? She comes here to eat at odd hours... have decided will let nature take its course have porch screens tight just in case one shows up... thank you for the support... have a bright Sunday

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, she used to leave them with me a couple hours or more, dont understand what happened? She comes here to eat at odd hours... have decided will let nature take its course have porch screens tight just in case one shows up... thank you for the support... have a bright Sunday
Rattle a cat bag now and then and call them. If they are around they are bound to show up where the food is. Some mother cats are weird in that they will let the little ones have just so much contact with people until they whisk them away. It is usually just a short until you see them again.

You have a great Sunday. :)

Barbcbrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions... I try to call them with the words I used the week they were here... its been 4 days... so we will see... they seemed to be bigger and even though I gave them food, she would bring a rat or mouse every day for dinner .... they did not know what to do with it at first... poor babies.. awww... thats nature...Thanks again...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions... I try to call them with the words I used the week they were here... its been 4 days... so we will see... they seemed to be bigger and even though I gave them food, she would bring a rat or mouse every day for dinner .... they did not know what to do with it at first... poor babies.. awww... thats nature...Thanks again...

Any cat that has a choice between food that is given to them and food they have to work for, will go for the free dinner every time. Just keep calling and leaving food out and I think they will eventually come. If anything they will get curious as to where mom is going and follow her. Too bad you can't follow her, but even if you could, I think she would be to cagey to lead you to them. Cats are as sly as foxes, especially mother cats. :)