Kittens and Litter Boxes

Dieliebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening. I recently took in a couple of kittens who were abandoned by mom. When I got them they were apparently only 4 weeks old (didn’t know till their vet visit). They are now 8 weeks and thriving. Adorable. Rambunctious. My older cat doesn’t know whether to join in or yell at them when they get too rough.

Anyway. They have 3 litter boxes. 2 small ones with kitten attract and one big one with regular clay litter. They use all three.

But then they also use the carpet. It’s like as soon as I release them from the room they are staying in, they urinate.

I clean the areas with Natures Miracle.They know how to use their litter boxes. They just also seem to like the carpet. They are healthy. Vet visit was about 2 weeks ago.

Will they grow out of this as they get older? Never had this issue with cats growing up.

PigeonPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had the same issue with our little boy. We removed the carpet. Since there was no carpet, he had no choice but to go for a corner. We placed the litter box in that favorite corner spot! Kept it that way for a month. Then brought back the carpet and changed the box where we wanted it, and he has been a good boy since :)

Best is to carefully pick them up when they get into pee/poo position and place them in their box, if he's not where suposed to. We rewarded him everytime he used it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dieliebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had the same issue with our little boy. We removed the carpet. Since there was no carpet, he had no choice but to go for a corner. We placed the litter box in that favorite corner spot! Kept it that way for a month. Then brought back the carpet and changed the box where we wanted it, and he has been a good boy since :)

Best is to carefully pick them up when they get into pee/poo position and place them in their box, if he's not where suposed to. We rewarded him everytime he used it.
I wish we could remove carpet! Unfortunately the only places that do not have carpet are the kitchen, bathroom and utility room. Unfortunately bathroom is too small and kitchen too loud so the utility room is their home for now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they are too excited to be left out and go from this excitement. You might try placing a box right outside the door they can spot as soon as they are out, or at least over the spot they were going. This would be temporary until they get older. Once older they can contain themselves better. Or you might try to entice them to use the litter box before they are let out, or don't let them out until they do. If they consistently use the litter box in the utility room, they know what it is for, they just can't control their bladder from excitement at being let out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dieliebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think they are too excited to be left out and go from this excitement. You might try placing a box right outside the door they can spot as soon as they are out, or at least over the spot they were going. This would be temporary until they get older. Once older they can contain themselves better. Or you might try to entice them to use the litter box before they are let out, or don't let them out until they do. If they consistently use the litter box in the utility room, they know what it is for, they just can't control their bladder from excitement at being let out.
You know. This makes a ridiculous amount of sense. I hadn’t even considered they might just be over the moon and can’t contain themselves. I’ll definitely get everyone on board with your suggestions. Thank you for that insight!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I always try to 'think' like a cat, and I know how rambunctious and excited kittens can get. I also know both cats and humans, when very young (and old :) ) can't really control their bladders!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise