Kittens almost 5 months old fever but still eating normal

Junkkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone I have a kitten about 5 months. His illness has lasted for almost 3 weeks now. The first week he had a runny nose, running eyes and had a normal eating fever (104-106F) and slept a lot. I took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with upper respiratory infection in kitten. then they gave him eyes drop and one anti biotic ( clavamox drop). After a week of taking the medicine for the kitten’s illness, the kitten still had no relief and I decided to test his blood. all results were negative. then they gave me an other anti biotic ( a doxycycline suspension). and after three days he no longer had a runny nose and eyes, and then his fever has dropped to 102.5F within 2 days and it has increased steadily to 103-104F up until now. But he is still eating and drinking normally, only a little more sleep. When I talked to the doctor, they said that I need to take the medicine within 2-3 weeks. but I feel that his fever hasn't decreased. Can I ask what happened to my kitten?

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be looking for a second opinion...not all vets are created equal. Looking over the Yelp reviews of local vets, I see many that sould be sued for malpractice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A normal cat temperature range is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees, so it does sound like he is running a fever. I think you might want to see another vet for a second opinion. He may need a different type of medication altogether and an anti-inflammatory to bring his fever down.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has he been on the new medicine? Is he vomiting? Is he using his litter box normally? It is very good that he is still eating and drinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Junkkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
almost he is taking the new medicine almost a week, he is not vomiting, and every thing is normal, he just only have fever, and his temperature keep going up and down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Junkkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has he been on the new medicine? Is he vomiting? Is he using his litter box normally? It is very good that he is still eating and drinking.
almost he is taking the new medicine almost a week, he is not vomiting, and every thing is normal, he just only have fever, and his temperature keep going up and down

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry the little one has been sick! It sounds like he isn’t responding completely to the current medicine. Make sure the vet knows his temperature is going up and down. Asking another vet for help is a good idea. Has the kitty been checked for parasites too? When you had the blood checked, did they check for anemia? Parasites can leave a kitty anemic and not able to bounce back after being sick. He may need a little different help from the vet. Asking the vet questions may help you to understand more of what you should expect or what needs to be checked. Please do keep us updated.