Kittening Pens

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does any one use a kittening pen? One to contain the queen for birthing and then to contain the kittens once they get more mobile?

I was setting up at least 5 different nests in my bedroom so my queens could choose which one they would like. Unfortunately my bed seems to be a popular spot for them to give/ want to give birth, and then once the wee ones are here I have had a few have accidents in my bed before they are fully litter trained I would like to avoid having to repurchase all my king size bedding for a third time lol

I tried setting my girls and kittens up in my computer room as well but it's in the basement and seems harder to keep the correct temperature in the winter. Plus I absolutely hate having them so far away!

I tried using a large fabric dog pen, but it is a pain in the butt to clean and I feel like I can't sanitize it properly because of the fabric.

I looked at XL dog crates (big enough for a great dane) but hate that it's only one level and still doesn't seem like it's enough space to put everything in and have my girls comfortable.

Any ideas/pictures would be greatly appreciated! TIA

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would tell you to just cover your bed with a blanket you don't mind losing, but first I need to ask a question: Once they give birth, are you moving to a safer location? It would seem to me that on top of a bed is not a good place for kittens to be.

At any rate, if they like your bed covering so much, maybe you call this last one a lost cause and use it for birthing in a box somewhere on the floor? Keep your bed covered with plastic until after mama has delivered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a wire dog pen. That way it can be disinfected and the mama cats can still jump in and out, but the babies are safely contained. Something like this:

If the openings are large enough so the kittens can stick their heads through, you can zip-tie smaller wire mesh to the bottom part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i put them in a box after birth and keep it beside the bed, but if mom keeps moving kittens back into our bed (my one queen likes to drop the kittens off on my face at 3am so she can get a break) we've ended up sleeping with the box in the middle of the bed with us... which is super uncomfortable.

Once they are mobile enough they climb up into my bed, which is when they have had accidents.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An extra large dog crate might work, I've used them for the feral/strays I've brought in. I just put boxes, tunnels, and I even made a large hammock for my last one.

You could also go with a cage, something like This I know I've seen shelters use cages like that for cats. You can let the mom out in your room to get away from the kittens when they are older, and even maybe take the kittens out to play in the computer room for playtime if it's warm enough (maybe bring a heater in there?) since you don't want them playing in your bedroom.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do have cloth like mattress pads that are waterproof, that way it would be soft and like cloth, but contain any accidents. Are you a breeder? The safest and best thing to do would be to spay, then they and you would be happier! I had a stray that I couldn't catch and she had 17 kittens in one year, how do you find homes for them all!

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob Yes I am a registered breeder of Traditional Siamese (Thai cats). I have 3 queens now (just recently purchased my third) and only breed a few times a year when I have enough people lined up for kittens and my vet gives my girls the go ahead.
I have built a stud pen for my male and he is allowed out and about in the house with stud pants on to stop unwanted matings and spraying.

posiepurrs posiepurrs I never thought of using the show pens what a great idea!

(Picture is of our stud "pen")

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I absolutely LOVE Siamese! They were the breed of cat I grew up with, they have always had the most personality and are the most talkative of any breed I have known! You are so blessed to have them!

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely am :)

I think I am going to go with posiepurrs posiepurrs idea and then build and extra pen around it to give the kittens more space once they are moving around until they are litter trained.

I liked amethyst amethyst idea alot but I would be concerned that if they decided to move the kittens to the top shelf it would be dangerous.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of breeders use sturdi shelters for kittening pens... in fact, I just took this picture last week :)

IMG_20190418_075352.jpg

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lutece lutece OMG they are so cute!! Thanks for sharing!

posiepurrs posiepurrs I have something similar to that but I find it hard to clean properly.

However I think I will set it up on our main floor so that when they are initially getting introduced to the rest of the house (I have dogs and other cats) they can be part of everything but still secure until they are more comfortable.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One for Pets Double Cat Show House/Portable Dog Kennel/Shelter, Tan 24″x24″x42″ - Car Seat-Belt Fixture Included
Not a Strudi kennel but it seems similar; do you think this would work or should I spend the extra money on the real deal?

I live in Canada so to have a Sturdi pen shipped from their website between shipping and the exchange rate it's almost double the cost of the one I found on Amazon. However I don't mind spending the extra money if the Sturdi pen is significantly better then the Amazon one

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One for Pets Double Cat Show House/Portable Dog Kennel/Shelter, Tan 24″x24″x42″
Those are great too. I have two of them in the cream color. They are quite a bit cheaper and more stable than the Sturdi shelters.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't see why this one wouldn't work just fine. I have seen these in the show halls. If I ever need a new show shelter, I may consider one of these.
The problem I find with Sturdi is that after a few years they tend to get crooked and not sit on the table properly.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perfect thanks so much for your replies they have been very helpful!